Chapter 12

I woke up the next morning feeling really groggy. I looked around and found myself in a recovery room. I was in a soft warm bed and I felt a little bit better. Well, before I tried to sit up and totally regretted it.

I grunted, annoyed and looked around as I lay back down. I saw a bedside table covered in flowers and cards. I smiled and reached for one of the cards. I opened it and saw it was from Steve.

Dear Maddy,
I'm so sorry. I wasn't there for you when you needed me and I feel awful. I swear I will never leave your side as long as I live.

I looked over and saw Steve sleeping in a chair close to my bed. I smiled and went back to reading.

H.Y.D.R.A. tested on you, and when you passed out in Bucky's arms, something happened to you. I'll explain when you wake up.
Love,
Steve

What does he mean something happened to me? I looked over at Steve.

"Wake up, Sleeping Beauty." I said, causing him to jolt up awake.

I laughed and grabbed his hand. He rubbed his eyes and smiled down at me.

"Hey ShortCake." He said. "How ya feeling?"

"I can't sit up without pain shooting up my back but other than that I'm doing good." I answered.

"Everyone visited you while you were asleep." He said, pointing to the table filled with flowers and cards.

"Aww. No one's ever done that for me. Probably because I've never been in any life or death situations before." I said, causing Steve to laugh.

"I'm so so so sorry Maddy." He said.

"Steve it's not your fault. It's nobody's fault. Well, actually it's kind of Loki's fault, but ya get the gist." I said, smiling.

"I was so worried. Everyone was helping. Thor, Tony, Nat, Clint and Bruce. Even Bucky showed up."

"About that, who's Thor and Bucky?" I asked.

Steve chuckled.

"Bucky is my best friend. He was the man who carried you out of the White House. Thor is Loki's brother."

I opened my mouth to speak but Steve cut me off.

"He's with S.H.I.E.L.D. so don't worry about it. His brother is jealous that he isn't the king of Asgard." He explained and I nodded.

"Did you get Charlie out of there?" I asked, eagerly.

"Yes. Natasha is taking care of him."

I sighed in relief at the news.

"So, in your letter, you said that something happened to me when I passed out. What was it?" I asked.

"Do you think you can sit up?" Steve asked.

I sat up in the bed and felt a part of me hit the backboard. But it wasn't my back. I turned around and was shocked when I saw feathers coming out of my back. My shirt was ripped with two holes to allow the wings to be free. I started freaking out.

"Get them off get them off get them off!" I screamed, trying to pull off the feathers.

"Ow! Leave them on leave them on leave them on!" I screamed in pain.

"It's okay, Maddy." Steve said, reaching out to hold me.

"What are these?" I questioned, pointing at the green wings as though they were a sickness.

"Bruce thinks it may be the kind of serum he used when he changed himself but the serum was modified. So whenever you feel fear, anger or anxiety, you grow these green feathers."

"So, I have to keep my feelings under control so I don't randomly sprout wings like this?" I asked.

"Yes, when your calm or happy or whatever feeling that isn't anger, fear or anxiety you should be fine." Steve explained. "Just close your eyes and take deep breaths."

I nodded and shut my eyes. I thought of happy things and began breathing in and out. I held Steve's hand and thought things like;

Maybe this is a good thing. It could help me whenever I get to fight alongside Steve. Well, ya know, if I get to.

"Maddy. They're gone."

I nodded and opened my eyes. I suddenly felt so much better and there was no pain in my body. I looked at the scratches on my arms and watched them turn into my skin. Soon there were no bumps and bruises on my body.

"I think I can heal super fast, too." I told Steve, smiling.

"Can you stand up?" He asked.

I sat up straighter and crawled out of bed. I stood up and straitened my back. I started walking around the room and turned back to Steve.

"Can we go back home?" I asked, smiling.

"We're going on a little road trip kiddo. Just to keep you safe, we're going to have to live at the Stark tower for a while."

"When are we leaving?"

"As soon as I fill out the papers to take you home. We can pick up Charlie and grab a few things we will be needing, like clothes and money." Steve explained, standing up.

He took my hand and lead me out of the room. Then I stopped him real quick and picked up the stack of cards from the bedside table and then left the room. Steve grabbed the papers to take me home and we sat in the waiting room. I was about to start reading the rest of the letters when Bruce, Tony, Thor and Bucky walked into the room. Thor was holding a giant teddy bear and Tony was holding a bunch of balloons.

Steve looked up at them and gave them all confused looks while I sat next to him giggling.

"Um... Surprise!" Tony exclaimed, causing me to laugh harder.

"You guys are the best!" I said, running up to hug them all.

I also thanked them all for saving me and got to officially meet Thor and Bucky.

"Guess who gets to stay with Uncle T!?" Tony asked, pointing at himself and grinning widely.

"Me!" I exclaimed.

Tony turned to Steve who was filling out the papers.

"Hey man. I thought you were going to let me tell her." He said, poking Steve in the face.

"Sorry Tony. She kept asking a whole bunch of questions." Steve said, still looking down at the papers.

"You didn't tell her about the limo or the private jet, did you?" Tony asked.

"Wow, spoiler alert 'Uncle T'." I said, laughing.

"Surprise again!" Tony said.

Bruce came up to me and put a hand on my shoulder.

"Steve said it would be okay if you were fine with it, but may I run a few tests on you at the Stark tower to see what kind of serum they used and what symptoms it may come with?" He asked.

"No needles? Or zapping?" I asked.

"No needles or zapping." He promised.

"Then okay." I answered, smiling.