Ch 20 Ice

Well, here we go again!

The wait was terrible.

They rested and traded watches, anticipation growing. It felt like the calm before the storm. Any second, and the lightning will strike.

Every once in a while, Nico would let out his scary howl that made Reyna flinch every time. Despite the fact that he had to call to the Hellhound, Reyna was seriously starting to hate that howl.

Reyna was keeping watch when she heard a distant howl. She tapped Nico on the shoulder, waking him. "Wha?" he asked, sitting up groggily. "Shhh! Listen, do you hear that?" They both went quiet, then heard the howl again. "There, did you hear it?" Reyna asked again. "Yeah, I heard it. Maybe it will hear me." 

Reyna braced herself, but shivers still jolted her spine as Nico let out a howl. It echoed in the silence, then was answered.

"What is it about that call?" Reyna asked. "I dunno, maybe it's a distress call?" Nico said. Reyna laughed, "Or a mating call. You might get a girlfriend." (Oooooooohhhhhhhh buuuurn!)

"Hey!" Nico slapped her shoulder playfully, "I'll get a girlfriend when we get back to the surface." "Oh, you have a girl in mind?" She said. "Well, yeah." Nico said. "Does she miss you?" "No, she doesn't." Nico said. "Why?" Reyna asked. "Because she is here with me." Nico said

(Hunger Games, I know. I couldn't help it!)

Reyna gaped at him. Then she smiled, "I guess you won't have to wait to get to the surface." She said

Nico felt his heart rate pick up. But before he could say another word, a not-so-distant howl caught there attention. They stood, "Did you hear that?" Reyna asked. In reply, Nico let out another Hellhound howl. It was answered, it sounded so close. Nico and Reyna drew their swords.

The ground rumbled. They stood back to back, ready for anything. Nico heard the panting of a huge dog. His heartbeat increased tenfold, his breathing quickening.

Then it came into view.

A huge dog lumbered forward. It's fur was sky blue and spiky in places, as if it was carved poorly from ice. It's fierce eyes blazed, ice cold yet burning, like an icy fire. Everywhere it stepped, ice crystals formed on the ground. It's breath billowed in the hot air.

"You take left, I take right." Reyna said. Nico nodded, "Brace yourself." he let out a fierce snarl that made Reyna's hair stand on end. The Hellhound returned the snarl, then charged.

Another cliffhanger. Sorry if there's grammar errors or something, but I don't have time to proof read for mistakes. Until next time! Yo Yo.