Ch 26 Home

Nico supported Reyna on his shoulder. He was exhausted, the rush of adrenaline long gone. He thought that his legs would give out from under him. He gasped for breath, his legs shaking. Reyna was a dead weight on his shoulder.

Nico struggled toward the hole. The gem would take them home, back to Camp Half Blood. He had to get there fast, before Reyna bled out. 

He stumbled, then fell. He shook his head, struggling to clear it. No, he couldn't give up now. Not with their lives on the line.

Using the last of his strength, he dragged Reyna near the hole. The blood red gem glittered brightly. Nico remembered that red was the color of dawn, the color of a new beginning. Keeping an arm carefully placed around Reyna, Nico reached out and touched the gem. 

Tartarus began to spin around him. He held onto Reyna tightly as he felt himself dissolve into air and shadow. The world spun faster, faster, faster......

Suddenly, it all stopped. Nico found himself lying on soft sand, the sound of water in his ears. He opened his eyes, shielding them with his hand against the bright sun.

The sun. The beautiful sun, giving light and warmth. He breathed in a lungful of clean, fresh air. They weren't in Tartarus anymore. They had done it. They were home.

Nico looked at Reyna, who laid next to him. He remembered her injury and struggled to sit up. His head swam, and he was forced to lay back down.

He heard voices. Shoes drummed on the sand. A familiar voice shouted "Medic! We need a medic!" Two sea-green eyes hovered over his.  "Nico? Nico, stay awake. Stay with me."

Unable to keep concious any longer, Nico closed his eyes and let the darkness take him. 

We're getting close! I can taste it! Only...... six more chapters to go! Wooohoooo!