0.3: THE BOOK OF TAWHID

Almighty Allaah says:

 "And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents..." (Quran: Al-Isra: 23)

__________________________

Keywords and Phrases:

Your Lord: It refers to Allaah, who is of sovereign dominion over all worlds.

And to parents, good treatment: As almighty Allaah decreed to be solely worshiped without associating any partner with Him, He also commanded man to be kind and dutiful to his parents.

General Meaning of the Quranic Verse:

According to the Quranic verse, almighty Allaah commands people, by means of His messengers, to devote all  acts of worship solely to Him. In addition, He further enjoins children to be kind and dutiful to their parents by word and deed and moreover, warns them against mistreating them, since parents have compassionately reared and cared for them until reaching maturity.

Relevance of the Quranic Verse to the chapter:

Monotheism is the most assured right of Allaah and the most binding duty on man, as Allaah prefaced the verse with it, and priority is given to what is of more importance.

Lessons drawn from the Quranic verse:

>>Monotheism is the first decree enjoined by Allaah on man. It is, thus the foremost binding right of Allaah incumbent upon His servants.

>> The verse conveys the same meaning expressed in the testification of faith, i.e. declaring that all false deities are not worthy of being worshiped while Allaah is.

>>The Quranic verse affirms the significant merit of fulfilling parents due rights of respect and kind treatment since these rights are directly preceded by the enjoinment of monotheism.

>>The obligation of showing all kinds of benevolence, righteousness, and tenderness when dealing with parents. The Quranic verse does not, however, specify a limit or designate a way of such a good treatment.

>> The prohibition of being undutiful or ungrateful to one's parents.