6.3 ACTS OF POLYTHEISM: RINGS FOR REMOVING AFFLICTION

'Uqbah Ibn 'Amir (may Allaah be pleased with him) narrated that the prophet  (ﷺ) said:

"If a person uses an amulet, may Allaah not fulfill his purpose, and if he uses a seashell (as a remedy, or to protect him from the evil eye), may Allaah not grant him calmness"

According to another version, the prophet  (ﷺ) said:

"Whoever uses an amulet commits and act of polytheism"

________________________________________________________________________________

'Uqbah ibn 'amir(the narrator): 'Uqbah ibn 'amir al juhani is a well known companion. During the caliphate of muawiyah, uqbah was appointed as a governor of egypt for three years and died at the age of about 60 years; may Allaah be pleased with him.

KEYWORDS AND PHRASES:

>>Whoever uses an amulet: An amulet may be attached with the belief that it can guard a person or an animal against harm or evil.

>>Amulet: Attachment of amulets was a pre-Islamic custom. The Arabs used to attach beads to their children for guarding them against evil eyes.

>>May Allaah not fulfill his purpose! It is an invocation expressed by the prophet  (ﷺ) against whoever attaches an amulet.

GENERAL MEANING OF THE TWO HADITHS:

The prophet  (ﷺ) invokes Allaah to let those who attach amulets with the purpose of removing harm or evil not to fulfill their objective. Similarly, the prophet  (ﷺ) asks Allaah not to let those who attach seashells live in peace and tranquility. The prophet's invocations are taken as indication for his admonition against such grave practices. In the second hadith, the prophet  (ﷺ) affirms that such practices are acts of polytheism.

RELEVANCE OF THE TWO HADITHS TO THE CHAPTER

The two hadiths prove the prohibition of attaching amulets and seashells. They prove such practices as forms of polytheism, since those who attach such objects become absolutely dependent on them.

LESSONS DRAWN FROM THE HADITHS:

>>Attaching amulets is an act of polytheism.

>>Whoever relies on others besides Allaah will never attain his aim.

>>One may invoke Allaah not to fulfill the purpose of those attaching such amulets.

                                              **************************************

Writer's note: (I am not the writer, I just copied this book which is written by a scholar)

Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatahu,

I haven't been updating the book since a long time. I got distracted and busy in other works. This is a very important book and I really wish to complete it. Please make dua for me. And, do read this book, may Allaah make you firm in religion. Do remember this sister of yours in dua. May Allaah forgive and have mercy on us.