2.1 PERFECT MONOTHEISM GUARANTEES PARADISE

Almighty Allaah says:

"Indeed, Abraham was a (comprehensive) leader, devoutly obedient to Allaah, inclining towards truth, and he was not of those who associate others with Allaah." (Qur'an: An Nahl: 120)

He, exalted be He, also says:

"And they who do not associate anything with their Lord" (Qur'an: Al Mu'minun: 59)

______________________________

Relevance of the chapter to the book of Tawhid:

In the previous chapter, the author (May Allaah have mercy on him) mentioned the virtues of monotheism. Now, he is going to elucidate (explain) how to attain the degree of perfect monotheism.

Keywords and Phrases:

Attainment of perfect monotheism: Perfect monotheism may be realized if it becomes free from any act or form of polytheism, bid'ahs (matters innovated in religion) or wrongdoings.

A comprehensive leader: Ibrahim (alaihissalam) used to be normative (estabilishing) model, since he instructed all that is good.

Inclining toward truth: He is ardently inclined to obey Allaah and always disinclined to worship any false deity.

General meaning of the Qur'anic verses:

Almighty Allaah characterizes ibrahim (alaihissalam), His intimate friend, by four qualities:

1. He was a good example of all righteous traits as he reached the highest degree in showing patience and certainty; the two attributes are held necessary for attaining comprehensive leadership.

2. He was devout, obedient and persistent in worshiping Allaah, exalted be He.

3. In addition to turning away from polytheism, Ibrahim (alaihissalam) inclined toward Allaah

4. He kept away from the polytheists.

Relevance of the two Qur'anic verses to the chapter:

In the first Quranic verse, almighty Allaah mentions the characteristics of Ibrahim (alaihissalam) who represents the highest degree of perfect monotheism. He, moreover, enjoins us to follow his example. Therefore He said:

"There has already been for you an excellent pattern in Ibrahim and those with him..."  (Qur'an: Al mumtahinah: 4)

In the second Quranic verse almighty Allaah depicts our righteous ancestors' traits; the greatest of which is their abandoment of all acts and forms of polytheism whether apparent(clearly visible) or covert (hidden). Hence, whoever succeeds in fulfilling these prerequisites will reach the highest degree of perfect and pure monotheism, and consequently be admitted into paradise without being called to account for his deeds.

Lessons drawn from the two Quranic verses:

>>The two Quranic verses affirm the virtues of our forefather Ibrahim (alahissalam)

>> One is enjoined to follow the footsteps of Ibrahim (alaihissalam) and adopt his great attributes.

>> The two Quranic verses expound the prerequisites of perfect and pure monotheism.

>> One is enjoined to avoid polytheism and disown polytheist by denouncing their beliefs and practice.

>> According to the aforementioned Quranic verse, true believers are portrayed as accomplishing the requirements of pure monotheism.