0.6 THE BOOK OF TAWHEED

Ibn Mas'ud (may Allaah be pleased with him) says:

"Whoever wants to know the will of prophet Muhammad (salallahu alaihi wasallam) sealed with his seal, let him recite these Qur'anic verses, '....Say , 'Come, I will recite what your Lord has prohibited you from:.....' ending with 'And verily, this (i.e. Allah's Commandments mentioned in the above two Verses 151 and 152) is my Straight Path, so follow it..... ' " (Qur'an: Al-An'am: 151-153)

______________________

Ibn Mas'ud:

The full name of Ibn mas'ud is Abdullah Ibn Masud Ibn Ghafil Ibn Habib Al-Hudhali. He was a venerable  (respectable/honourable) companion of the earliest to accept Islam, and one of the prominent scholars. He accompanied the prophet (salallahu alaihi wasallam) and died in 32 A.H.

General meaning of Ibn Masud's Tradition:

Ibn Masud (may Allaah be pleased with him) states that had the prophet (salallahu alaihi wasallam) made his will, he would have instructed the aforementioned Quranic verses. This is inferred (deduced) from the concluding phrase of each Quranic verse which reads: '..this has He instructed you...' (Qur'an: Al-An'am: 151)

Ibn Masud said that this tradition being motivated by Ibn Abbas (may Allaah be pleased with him) who was reported to have said:

"The real calamity is that the prophet (salallahu alaihi wasallam)  passed away without leaving his will."

Therefore, Ibn Masud (may Allaah be pleased with him) reminded the prophet's companions of the adequate commandments included in the Noble Quran. Had the prophet bequeathed (left) a commandment, he would have derived it from the Quranic commandments.

Relevance of the tradition to the chapter:

This tradition illustrates that the commandments mentioned in these verses represent the will of the prophet (salallahu alaihi wasallam), for the prophet (salallahu alaihi wasallam) enunciates (expresses clearly) what is instructed in Noble Quran.

Lessons drawn from the tradition:

>>The tradition affirms the importance of the ten commandments elucidated (made clear) in the aforementioned Quranic verses.

>> The commandments of the prophet (salallahu alaihi wasallam) are exactly those of almighty Allaah for he instructs what almighty Allaah commands.

>> The companions were possessed of deep knowledge and piercing understanding of Quran.