0.5 THE BOOK OF TAWHID

Almighty Allaah says: 

Say (O Muhammad (salallahu alaihi wasallam)): "Come, I will recite what your Lord has prohibited you from: Join not anything in worship with Him; be good and dutiful to your parents; kill not your children because of poverty - We provide sustenance for you and for them; come not near to Al-Fawahish (shameful sins, illegal sexual intercourse, etc.) whether committed openly or secretly, and kill not anyone whom Allah has forbidden, except for a just cause (according to Islamic law). This He has commanded you that you may understand.

 "And come not near to the orphan's property, except to improve it, until he (or she) attains the age of full strength; and give full measure and full weight with justice. We burden not any person, but that which he can bear. And whenever you give your word (i.e. judge between men or give evidence, etc.), say the truth even if a near relative is concerned, and fulfill the Covenant of Allah, This He commands you, that you may remember.

"And verily, this (i.e. Allah's Commandments mentioned in the above two Verses 151 and 152) is my Straight Path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His Path. This He has ordained for you that you may become Al-Muttaqun (the pious - see V.2:2)."

(Quran Al-An'aam: 151-153)

__________________________________

General Meaning of the Quranic verse:

Since the polytheists followed their whims and satanic insinuations, they devoted their worship to deities other than Allaah, prohibited what Allaah provided for them as lawful, and killed their children so as to draw nearer to their false deities. Almighty Allaah commanded His messenger to inform them of what their creator and owner made absolutely prohibited according to His revelation, not out of their speculation (speculate=form a theory about a subject without firm evidence). These prohibited items are listed under the ten commandments stated in the Quranic verses as follows:

1. Allaah commands His servants not to associate any object or false deity with Him. The prohibition here is so exclusive and general that it includes the forbiddance of worshiping any false deity or object and the avoidance of any ritual offered to them as well.

2. He commands sons and daughters to do well and be dutiful to parents, to be modest with them, and to protect and obey them unless they enjoin a violation or a sin.

3. He commands Muslims not to bury daughters alive or kill children for fear of poverty since man does not provide sustenance for them or even for himself.

4. He commands Muslims not to approach immoralities - what is apparent of them and what is concealed as well.

5. He commands His servants not to kill any of the believers or dhimmis except with a legal right, such as killing someone for retaliation, stoning to death both married and previously married persons in case they commit adultery, or killing an apostate. (A dhimmi refers to specific non muslim individuals living in Muslim lands, who are granted special status and safety in Islamic law in return for paying the tax)

 6. Allaah, exalted be He, commands Muslims not to approach the orphan's property unless with the intention to protect and invest it. The orphan's property should be paid back when he/she reaches maturity.

7. Almighty Allaah further commands us to '....and give full measure and full weight with justice. We burden not any person, but that which he can bear....' (Quran Al An'aam: 152) Therefore, we enjoined to establish justice as much as we can in case of taking or giving.

8. '..And whenever you give your word (i.e. judge between men or give evidence, etc.), say the truth even if a near relative is concerned ..' (Quran Al An'aam: 152). Almighty Allaah immediately preceded the command to establish justice in testimony with the command of doing justice in transactions.

9. Allaah ordains the fulfillment of covenants as He says '..and fulfill the Covenant of Allah ..' (Quran Al An'aam: 152). The covenant of Allaah is to obey Him by acting upon His commands and avoiding His prohibitions and, moreover, behaving in accordance with the Quran and sunnah of prophet salallahu alaihi wasallam.

10. 'And verily, this (i.e. Allah's Commandments mentioned in the above two Verses 151 and 152) is my Straight Path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His Path... ' (Quran Al An'aam: 152). Allaah, Exalted and glorified be He, stresses that following the straight path is to adhere to all commandments elucidated (explained) in the aforementioned two Quranic verses. Such commandments, which comprise both the abandonment of prohibited acts, particularly polytheism, and the fulfillment of what Allaah has enjoined, particularly monotheism, constitute the straight path. The believers are commanded to '..and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His Path... ' (Quran Al An'aam: 152) which invoke bid'ahs (matters innovated in religion) and doubtful matters so that '..for they will separate you away from His Path..' (Quran Al An'aam: 152) i.e. deviating from the straight and righteous path.

Relevance of the verses to the chapter:

In the aforementioned Quranic verses, almighty Allaah states a collection of prohibited acts, starting with the prohibition of polytheism. The prohibition of polytheism necessarily requires the enjoinment of action upon monotheism. Therefore, monotheism is the greatest obligation whereas polytheism is the gravest sin.

Lessons drawn from the Quranic verse:

>> While polytheism is the gravest sin, monotheism is the most significant obligatory act.

>> The gravity of parents' rights.

>>The prohibition of committing homicide without a legal and justified reason. Murder of one's relatives is, however, a graver sin.

>>The prohibition of devouring (eating) the orphan's property. However, it is permissible to invest the orphan's property (i.e. by means of trade).

>>One is enjoined to preserve justice in word and deed even if the person involved is a relative.

>>The incumbency of fulfilling covenants.

>>The obligation of embracing Islam and deserting any other religion.

>>It is exclusively Allaah's right to prohibit or make something lawful.

*****