1.5 MERITS OF MONOTHEISM

Anas ibn malik (may Allaah be pleased with him) narrated:

"I heard the messenger of Allaah (salallahu alaihi wasallam) saying that almighty Allaah said, 'O son of Adam! If you meet Me in the state that your sins fill the earth, but not associating anything with Me, I will meet you with the same (vastness) of forgiveness (on My behalf).' "

(Related by At-Tirmidhi who graded it a hasan hadith)

___________________________________

Anas ibn malik (the narrator):

The full name of the narrator is Anas ibn malik ibn an-nadr al-ansari al-khazraji. He was the prophet's servant for ten years. The prophet (salallahu alaihi wasallam) invoked Allaah for anas saying, "O Allaah, grant him plenty of money and children and admit him into paradise." He died in 92 or 93 A.H. and at the age of more than a hundred years; may Allaah be pleased with him.

Keywords and phrases:

But not associating anything with Me: It implies that a believer's sins may be forgiven on the day of resurrection provided that he dies with perpetrating (committing) any act of polytheism.

General meaning of the hadith:

The prophet (salallahu alaihi wasallam) says that almighty Allaah informs His servants about His infinite grace and mercy, and assures them that He forgives all sins, no matter how plenty they are, as long as no act of polytheism is committed. Moreover, this hadith is similar to the Qur'anic verse, which reads:

"Indeed, Allaah does not forgive association with Him, but He forgives what is less than that for whom He wills....." (Qur'an: An Nisa: 48)

Relevance of the hadith to the chapter:

This hadith provides a proof of the great reward of monotheism, which expiates man's sins, however countless they may be.

Lessons drawn from the hadith:

>> The merits of monotheism and the great reward it entails.

>> The hadith provides that Allaah's grace, bounty, mercy and forgiveness are infinite.

>> This hadith is a counter argument against the kharijites (seceders) allegation, which involves that once a Muslim commits any major sin, he becomes a disbeliever.

>> It also provides a proof that speech is one of Allaah's attributes, and that His speech befits His majesty and might.

>> The testification of faith is not a mere utterance. It rather necessitates the avoidance of both minor and major polytheism.

>> The hadith also proves the occurrence of resurrection, reckoning, and reward in the hereafter.

Footnote:

The kharijites (Al Khawarij, i.e. the seceders): An Islamic radical sect who broke away from the reign of Ali ibn abu talib, the muslim caliph then, and murdered him. Their followers believe that the muslim who commits a major sin is a disbeliever. They also curse and revile the prophet's companions and deem the blood of muslims violable.