5.1 MEANING OF MONOTHEISM AND FAITH TESTIFICATION

Almighty Allaah says:

"Those whom they invoke seek means of access to their Lord (striving as to) which of them would be nearest, and they hope for His mercy and fear His punishment. Indeed, the punishment of your Lord is ever feared"  (Qur'an: Al-Isra': 57)

______________________________________________________

Relevance of the chapter to the book of tawhid:

In the present chapter, the author clarifies the concept of monotheism. There is a need for clarifying the concept of monotheism since some people wrongly believe that monotheism involves a mere belief in the Oneness of Allaah. The author asserts that monotheism necessitates devoting all acts and forms of worship to Allaah alone, and keeping away from any act of polytheism. 

Keywords and Phrases:

Testification of faith: It is the declaration that there is no deity but Allaah and that Muhammad (ﷺ) is the servant and messenger of Allaah.

Invoke: The contextual meaning of the word 'invoke' is to worship. The disbelievers, however, invoke or adore the angels, the prophets or the righteous.

Seek means of access to their Lord: Despite being invoked and adored besides Allaah, the angels , the prophets and righteous people offer all good deeds to draw near to their Lord

General Meaning of the Qur'anic Verse:

Almighty Allaah affirms that the angels, the prophets and the righteous, whom the disbelievers invoke besides Allaah, ardently seek to draw nearer to Allaah, hoping for His mercy and fearing His punishment. As the angels, prophets and righteous men offer good deeds seeking the pleasure of Allaah, how can they be adored or worshiped besides Him?!

Relevance of the Quranic verse to the chapter:

The verse in question signifies that both monotheism and testification of faith necessitate avoiding all acts and practices of polytheism such as invoking the righteous or seeking their intercession for removing adversities or afflictions.

Lessons drawn from the Quranic verse:

>> The verse provides a counter argument against those who falsely believe that Allaah's friends and righteous persons invoked besides Allaah are competent to bring benefit or avert harm.

>> It shows how the prophets and righteous fear Allaah and seek His mercy.