Chapter Four

A/N- Hope you enjoy!

For a moment, the world went completely still. As Iris looked upon the face of someone who had left about a week after she'd become the rogue captain of the Eldian army, she finally realized just how long he'd been gone. And just how abrupt his leave-taking had been. She hadn't even seen it in her elation. Kayde had went from being one of the people she'd treasured most in the world to completely nonexistent in what could have been the blink of an eye, and it hadn't even registered until now.

A stunning surge of sadness now tinged at Iris's heart at how distant they had become. His face was one of surprise as he stared right back into her face, as if he were trying to determine whether or not it was Iris that stood before him.

A strong sense of familiarity emanated from Kayde, one that seemed to give a feeling of completion to the rogue. Like something in her life had been awry for a long time... and this was it. Of course, Zayn was no longer around for the time being and she'd lost essentially her entire family. So some other things had definitely thrown her off balance. But here Kayde was, giving her a little morsel of hope that things might be normal again --relatively normal.

Hench cleared her throat, noticing the sudden change of atmosphere. "Easy there with the staring, Possum, before you scare the girl now."

Iris choked a bit, but concealed it easily. "Possum?"

"You heard me," Hench said with a bit of a smile, she pointed to the smaller man that had just dueled Kayde. "That one's Sprite and this one," she pointed at Kayde, "is Possum."

Iris saw a flash of alarm pass over Kayde's face, leaving as quickly as it had come.

"Sprite and Possum," Iris made a mental note, trying her damnedest to hold a laugh in. It would have been more of a guffaw if she'd allowed herself to let it out --in fact, it would have been the first belly laugh she would have had in a long time. "Got it. But I must ask: why?"

"Just worked out that way," Hench answered with a casual. "Sprite has been with us for about five years now, if I remember it straight. Great with his scimitar --but I guess the small stature and slanted face kind of had him pigeon-holed from the beginning as a sort of elf fellow or pixie. Real lively guy too... once you get to know him of course. And I assume you will at some point over the years. There might be a lot of us, but we're all family, especially so for the ones who live here." Sprite ducked his head, and bowed quickly and respectfully to Iris before dismissing himself.

Hench continued, "And then there's Possum. Been here since he was just a boy. I still remember that we all had him pegged as 'Rooster' at the beginning. Possum's always been an early riser, after all. But then his trials came... and in one of which, he had to prove himself in one-on-one combat. He was a smaller boy, then. His strength was overpowered; he knew it too as they fought. Therefore, when he took the first hit to the stomach, he dropped to the floor and feigned unconsciousness. Did a pretty damn good job of it too. His mentor dropped his guard, giving him enough leverage to strike. Possum beat the trial by playing possum." Hench's mouth turned up a corner. "His nickname is humorous, of course. Be that as it may, though, he's very smart and also one of the best we got. Treat him with respect and he'll do the same for you."

"Hench," Kayde said in the slightly musical voice that was ever-burned into Iris's memory. She didn't realize just how much she'd missed him until she'd heard his voice again. "Perhaps I could speak for myself?"

"Of course," she said, motioning for him to continue. "Be quick about it, though. This is Iris, my new recruit. I'm about to be testing her combat abilities as the first step in her training. You have fifteen minutes while I warm up. Don't scare her off too soon." Hench looked at Iris and pointed at a particular spot. "Do as you will, girl. When I step over on that stage, grab one of those wooden poles first and come join me."