Chapter Thirty

A/N -- Once more, the song is awesome and I have been saving it for this chapter!

Water. It was early in the morning when Elizabeth Or'vail felt water. It flowed down her legs from under her short dress and pooled at her feet. Her eyes were wide as she tried to wipe the fluid away with her hands. She could barely reach her thighs as her belly was heavily round with child. For the life of her, the girl couldn't figure out what it was for a long moment. Then, she felt something strange from inside of her.

It was pressure --a light pressure. A startled gasp left her lips, drawing the attention of both Cricket and Sunny. Elizabeth got to her knees after a few long moments, and suddenly? All three girls knew what was happening. Both Cricket and Sunny rushed to Elizabeth's side out of instinct.

"It's time," was all Elizabeth could say, a slight smile on her face. "The child is coming."

Cricket and Sunny both looked back and forth between the three of them, a sort of uncertainty in their faces. Elizabeth seemed to notice it.

"It's time for you both to go," she whispered, a light smile on her face. "When I start screaming, don't second guess it... just go." Another small contraction stopped Elizabeth for a moment. "Go get by the door... both of you." The words were strangled. "I mean it."

"Elizabeth," Sunny whimpered a final argument, but Elizabeth shushed it.

"Don't say anything," Elizabeth smiled. "Both of you just... just hug me. Right now. " She didn't wait for the embrace, but rather, threw her arms around the both of them for a long minute before falling back into another contraction. "I love you. I love both of you very much --before you go, I want you to hear that. I want you to know that. I want you to go and dream again... believe in life. To just live." She offered a tender smile. "It will ease something in my heart to know I did something to save a life."

"I love you," Cricket said back. "I do. I don't --I don't know how I can just leave you here."

"If you really love me," she said, "then run for me. Give that baby of yours a good life. Write a book, travel the countries, find your families, fall in love, and don't feel guilty for taking back your life. Take this opportunity I'm giving you and really try to get free and make something of yourself."

"We won't forget you," Sunny sobbed. "What if we never see you again?"

"Shh." Elizabeth cupped her belly. "Forget me. Forget this place."

Silence. "Go. Get by the door. I'm going to start screaming. I'll draw out the labor as long as I can." When they were hesitant, Elizabeth repeated herself. "Go."

And so they did.

And thus began the scariest day of their lives. The bloodcurdling screams ripped through Elizabeth like a force unlike anything they'd ever heard in their lives. She channeled her soul into them --her rage, her pain, and her hope. Sure enough, guards came running into the room to find her in a puddle of fluid, gripping at her belly like she carried a demon within.

When they guards were distracted by the loud screams, Cricket and Sunny ducked out the door, pulling their dresses up to run faster down the corridor before the guards could fully understand what was wrong with their friend. All they needed now was to get out of the prisoner's living quarters fast. They needed to get out before more came in.

And they nearly made it too.

But when they peeked around the last corner and caught eye of the exit , both of the girls found that a lone guard standing at the exit --looking bored. Cricket held a hand to stop Sunny from barreling into sight. "Sunny," she whispered, a half baked idea forming. "Sunny, you're gonna have to let him see you out of your room. You're going to have to show him you mean to run. Get him to chase you and run back --like you're running away. Okay?"