Chapter Eleven

The next several days were completely uneventful in Iris's eyes. As peaceful as the guardian sanctuary was, the routine of it now was monotonous. In Iris's head, she had to admit that she was pretty damn jealous of all the other guardians who got to go on missions. Especially jealous of those who got to leave the sanctuary whenever they weren't doing their job.

In fact, she watched them longingly whenever she caught eye of them walking out the front doors. She wanted to know what was going on with the world outside of here --so bad, in fact, that she considered trying to make new friends. After all, both Hench and Kayde were complete shut-ins, Iris had decided. Neither of them ever seemed to leave this place. The rogue didn't understand how they both weren't completely crazy by now.

Iris resigned her thoughts back to the task at hand: beating on the same damned practice dummy she'd been working for an hour now. The past couple of days, Iris had risen before dawn. Each of those days had brought her down to the combat arena --which was thankfully empty for the most part. The only people that came through were the very few that Iris could hear passing through to the exercise hall. Most of the time they were so quiet that the rogue didn't notice them at all.

It was peaceful enough, practicing without anyone else. Iris could warm up and think clearly without Hench rushing and bounding after her with what Iris had just recently dubbed the "punishment pole".

Of course, she didn't tell Hench about that last bit. It was just a stubborn, passive-aggressive way of getting back at the damn thing in her head. Gods, how many times had the punishment pole knocked her on her ass now? Iris shuddered, not wanting to count.

In a sort of silent oath, Iris vowed that one day she'd get Hench back for all of the bruises.
Sure, the woman was helping her to better herself or whatever... but Iris was irked that she had not yet proven herself to her assigned guardian. Which brought her back to her practice dummy. Now she practiced her new techniques against it with more vigor, holding steadfast to her desire to be worthy.

In the meantime, Hench watched her recruit quietly from a small doorway far to the right of where Iris now trained. It wasn't a planned oversight, but nevertheless, Hench had found the rogue hard at work as she was walking back after her heavy morning workout. At first, the guardian wanted to walk over there and help the girl... but instead, decided to just watch until she was noticed.

Iris was impressive --very impressive. Hench had known that since their very first spar, though. Iris's fight looked like a dance as her waiflike body whirled on impeccable feet. Delicate hands whipped through the air, cutting quick and deadly with a set of daggers. Hench's heart swelled a bit with pride, knowing that such gracefulness and passion was hard-found in a former soldier of the country.

A soldier.

Given more training, Iris would be brilliant. The rogue had such astounding potential and such a good heart too, Hench believed, judging by the few small conversations they'd had with each other.

Hench had been afraid when she'd first chosen Iris --she was afraid of the woman she'd find in the recruit. Iris had rose to fame quickly in Eldia. Oftentimes, those in similar positions might find themselves haughty and arrogant. Not to mention, Iris was known for being good at fighting. Too often would "good fighters" be killers --people thirsty for blood that found euphoria in taking lives.

No, Iris didn't seem to be that either. Hench chuckled at the thought, knowing the girl would have no problems here.

Hench watched as Iris stopped what she was doing and sat on the floor to take a breather. The mighty woman was about to continue on her way back to her chambers when Iris's voice called out from across the arena.