Chapter Twenty

A/N -- Another doodle in the series! Figured I should do the main character! Behold who I imagine to be Iris Gwenneth!

Bright and early the next morning, Iris Gwenneth walked once again into the small training arena. Hench already stood waiting, leaning on her pole of punishment and staring at the approaching rogue. Iris grabbed her customary training weapons and stopped just short of her mentor.

"Ready, girl?" Hench asked once Iris stood before her.

Now, unlike usual, Iris laughed before stepping on the stage. "Aye, as ready as I'll ever be, I suppose."

Iris watched her mentor. Gods, she wasn't ready for this. She'd only just healed from the last set of purple spots that seemed to have found taken permanent residence on her body since she' arrived here. Hench moved in quick. Iris, fully focused, dodged the first attack. It came slamming down beside her and then up again. She dodged that too. Her body whirled backwards into the same defensive stance.

Iris was determined to win. More so than she'd ever been.

And because of that, something happened and the rogue let herself go. She let her problems go, her thoughts, her dreams, her desires --everything that made Iris Iris. She buried her personality in a flowing stream and fully focused on the fight --at that point, nothing else mattered. She went fully visceral, and like an animal, she concentrated on only what her instincts told her. Not the lying eyes of Hench, not her feints, nothing but the movements. She would not be taken by surprise.

Hench closed in. Iris was as ready as she'd ever be. The women flew together in combat. Hench's muscular legs had her bounding about the place, trying to find the girl with her training pole. Iris was fast... but she wasn't scurrying today. Something was different. As the adrenaline pounded through the two women, the rogue blurred in motion, growing quicker and quicker.

Her arms and feet moved a deadly dance around the guardian, going directly on the offensive. Hench defended against the slapping poles, bringing up her own weapon to swat the girl away. Iris saw it coming. It came at her feet instead of her chest, meant to knock her down. Electricity jolted through her arms and legs, and she flipped backwards over the assault. The second she landed on her feet, she came in again at Hench with the ferocity of a wild cat.

The guardian had to give it to her, Iris was likely the fastest person she'd ever fought. And she'd gotten close --too close for comfort. Hench vaulted backwards to prevent getting back-stabbed, her massive form hitting the floor in a loud thump about seven feet away. Seeing the predatory look in the way the rogue circled about, Hench knew light weapons in the rogue's hands would prove faster than hers.

So she threw the pilaster down. So be it --she would fight with her bare hands. No surprise registered in Iris's face. The rogue came in, but she wasn't the only quick one. Hench was impossibly fast, dodging the little poles. The predator that watched her showed no frustration. Iris's mentor watched the girl's eyes now.