Chapter Thirty One

A/N -- Hey guys! Just thought I'd apologize for this taking so long. I haven't had an off day in over a week so time has been a definite issue. Also, I came down with a really bad sickness last week and am just now getting over it. Also, UNEDITED for now. (Don't correct minor typos, guys -- I love you guys but it drives me nuts). I'll edit in depth once the book is finished. ;)

"I have a question, girl," Hench said after training two weeks later. Iris looked up from the weapons-rack she was placing her wooden daggers on to find her mentor standing close by, eyeing her back. "Actually, it's more of a wonderment." Hench uncrossed her arms and heaved a big sigh, and for a moment, Iris waited on her mentor to spit out the words she'd been chewing on for over an hour.

"Yes?" the rogue finally prompted after a few moments of silence, a wispy smile curving onto her lips.

"I don't know how to start this," she admitted, a bit awkwardly. "Azabela and I have finally been able to move into our own cabin." Those words were quiet, as if she didn't want to spit them out --as if she still thought Iris would pass judgment on her. "We've finally gotten unpacked and settled in. And, because you're my trainee and because you're my friend, I'd like you to have dinner with us one night. I want you to be my guest and I want you to meet my son, Dane."

Even though she'd undeniably been getting closer to Hench, Iris was still a bit surprised at the invitation. "Really?"

Hench snorted. "Really."

"I'd like that," Iris said with a slight smile. "Where do you live?"

"Not too far from where Azabela and Sorella used to live," Hench answered, cracking fresh joints in her knuckles and pulling some fingers through the top of her hair. "Eh actually, you've never been there, girl. It's not too far from here --you'll see when I take you. We decided to stay close to Sorella just in case she needed us. Dane and Azabela wanted to be close enough to visit her as well." Hench turned to stick her training pole on a stand behind her.

"And are you happy about that?" Iris asked with an impish smile, causing her mentor to look over her shoulder at Iris.

"And why wouldn't I be, girl?" She whirled around now, casting a raised brow at the rogue.

"Have you told her you're getting married to her granddaughter yet?" Iris asked, and that seemed to answer Hench's question. The woman's lips tightened into a thin line, and Iris had the truth even though her mentor didn't directly reply. Iris looked incredulous. "You need to tell her."

"That is unwise," Hench said after a second of thought. "Incredibly unwise."

"Because?"

Hench took in a breath. "She's already disowned me. Sorella cared for me back when I lived with them --I'd go as far as to say that she loved me and my son like we were her own family. But that... that didn't stop her from telling me to hit the road when I was still a child, like I've told you already," she said, and paused for a second. "I don't want that to happen to Azabela. If she angered at me that much over a kiss," she spit the last word out like vomit, like it was a bad word. "Can you imagine what she'd do over a wedding?"

"What's she going to do? Kick Azabela out of her own cabin?" Iris asked, the answer clear. "She has a home now. It's not like she's got nowhere to run. She's got you."

"She does," Hench conceded. "But you still need your blood family, girl. Sorella is all she has left of that. I'd hate to see her lose her."

"I think you're making a big deal out of nothing," Iris said honestly. "I'm sure she suspects it anyway. You're moving into the same house, after all. I can't imagine telling her you're getting married would go over much worse than telling her that."