Chapter Twenty One

It was a couple days later when Iris received a knock on the door of her bedchambers about an hour before dawn. Iris had been up for a little while already --a result of having to constantly wake up early-- and had been getting ready to face another day in training. With a deep sigh, she opened the door to find Kayde on the other side. He looked past her into her room.

"Sorry for coming so early," he apologized, finally seeming to remember the early hour. "I need to talk to you about something. May I come in for a minute?" There was no other greeting given.

Iris nodded. "Of course." She turned to the side to let him walk past. When he did, she shut the door behind him and the both of them had a seat. Once they were both settled in, Iris looked over at the guardian. "What's going on?"

"Hench went and talked to my father the day before yesterday. About the baron you told me about," Kayde said, cutting straight to the point. "And then, late yesterday night... my father came to me. Your mentor has called the guardians to act --all of the guardians. She wants an assault on Baron Riasion's keep."

"Good," Iris said. "From what I've heard from her, it sounds like he deserves it. Has the request been approved by Master Dyran?"

"Yes," Kayde answered. "It has been. Likely, the entire monastery is going to mobilize --which is rare, only done as a result of the most monstrous crimes. I can't imagine what else Hench might have told my father --even he won't tell me all the accusations against Baron Riasion." Now, the guardian took a steadying breath. "Either way, such a large-scale assault may require assistance... and permission. Which is why I'm telling you."

"Permission?" Iris asked. "From whom?"

"Eldia," Kayde answered. "So that we might mete justice upon the deserving. Therefore, the master is sending Hench and I to go get said permission. We leave out the day after tomorrow."

"You?" Iris asked. "Why you?"

"Because," Kayde said, pausing for a second. "Well, because I know the guy we're going to ask personally. Hench doesn't." With a large breath, Kayde finally told Iris the reason that he was here. "Iris, they're sending me to the Eldian war general for approval. They're sending me and Hench to Zayn Rothstead."

A strange look came over Iris's face. "Oh," was all she could say.

"So," Kayde said, clasping his hands. "It's likely Hench isn't going to tell you that. For the record, I'm not supposed to be telling you either, dear girl. But I'm doing it anyway. If you'd like to send a message, I can tell it to him if you want while I'm there."

Iris thought about it. Truthfully, she had no idea what to even say. And that? That surprised her. She should have a million things to say to him... but she didn't. A cold feeling hit her gut --she hadn't even really thought about anyone back in Eda in quite some time... not Renna and not Zayn. It had even been quite a few days since she'd even thought of her parents.

"Just," Iris tried to sort through her thoughts. "Just wish him well for me."

Kayde looked confused. "You sure? You could even write him if you'd rather me not know what you want to say."

"That's fine. Just wish him well," Iris said, a serene look passing over her face. "Thank you, Kayde. For telling me."

He nodded, still harboring an odd look in his eyes. "Is everything... alright?"

"Yes," Iris answered. "Things are fine. I just... to be honest, I haven't thought much of him, or even of home at all, lately. Maybe that's a bad thing --but I'm in no hurry to return to Eda. All that waits there are... reminders. Things I've lost... hard times. Between Renna, my dad, my mom, Zayn, and even Shad... Eda is just painful. In a way, ever since my mother died, it's always been a painful place. But here? Being here is inspiring again."