Chapter Twelve

The next morning, Hench and Iris were packed and ready for their mission. Both walked out the front double doors of the sanctuary dressed in custom black guardian robes. Now, Iris had both her daggers holstered at her sides. As for her mentor, the large double-headed warhammer hung heavily from her back, almost issuing a silent threat to any who might cross her.

Kayde watched them both leave from his window. He'd thought to say a final goodbye to his once-before companion, but thought better of it. Iris hated being treated like a child --that much he knew. He hoped she was safe though. In his heart, he knew she would be. She was tough. And gods, so was Hench. If it truly came down to it, her mentor would be able to protect the both of them.

His green eyes glassed over for a minute, his thoughts taking over his focus. Quietly, he pressed a hand to the glass, reaching out for only the gods knew what. And that was how Sprite found him when he entered the guardian's chambers unannounced. Sprite was a friend of Kayde's --had been for nearly five years. In fact, Kayde had once been his mentor --the man who put Sprite through his guardian trials.

Needless to say, his presence was welcome in Kayde's chambers.

Wordlessly, Sprite joined him at the window, deciding to wait a minute before disturbing the peace. At that moment, Kayde watched as Iris turned her head over her shoulder one last time to look at the monastery. For a second, it felt as if her gaze was upon him... because her brown eyes seemingly hit his. He watched as she smiled a bit and shook her head before turning back forward.

Now, Sprite snapped his thin fingers, catching Kayde's attention. "Alright, bud. Back to the world." A wild smirk was present on the small man's face. Sprite certainly lived up to his name with his small, but sharp, features and petite frame built for dexterity.

Kayde turned and gave his friend a courteous nod. "My apologies. I just hope for the recruit's safe return. No other trainees I've known have left the monastery before being marked as guardian." He absentmindedly gazed at the inky tattoo that graced each Remorda Guardian's bicep.

"I hear her name is Iris." Sprite disregarded Kayde's words, already knowing the answer to his next question. "Is she the Iris?"

Kayde nodded. "That is Iris Gwenneth, first heroine of Eldia, former Rogue-Captain of the Eldian army, and soon-to-be Remorda Guardian after Hench's tutelage." He said the words with respect. "So yes, she is the Iris."

"Then you wish for more than her safe return."

Kayde narrowed her eyes and, once he registered the meaning of Sprite's words, applied a hard smack to the back of his head. Sprite clenched his teeth at the force behind the blow, but otherwise took it in stride.

"Once," Kayde admitted. "But no more."

"Yeah?" Sprite asked, pushing his luck further than he probably should. It humored him to see the ever-collected and cool Kayde lose any semblance of his suave composure. "If you're not still torn up over what happened with her, come with me tonight. Me and Singer are going to that little hamlet to the south. I'm sure with his voice and your pretty green eyes, you both could get any woman in the whole damn place to bed you. In fact, I'm pretty sure Moira's still asking about you."

Kayde raised a brow. "But then what would be left then for poor Sprite?"

"Guardians make sacrifices," Sprite shrugged, jesting. "You'll go?"

Kayde let out a single, barking laugh. "Absolutely not."

Sprite very much expected that answer from his friend. "You're no fun, Possum."