Chapter Fifteen

Zayn scoured the clues again as he had already done so many times. In his hands, he held an old piece of parchment and a news-sheet that was posted just over two decades ago. The parchment looked like a desperate, handmade poster with the girl's description and age on it, with promise of reward for any information. The girl had been called "Cricket", judging by the information. Cricket had been eight years old the night she had gone missing, just on the cusp of nine.

And what a damn shame that was.

The general rubbed his chin and laid the papers out on his nightstand. The girl had been missing for years and years. Chances of finding her now were slim, but Zayn had to find the girl --or at the very least, find out what had happened to her. Another thing bothered him... why had Elliot, Irila, and Renna hid Cricket's existence from Iris? Did his former betrothed not deserve to know that she had a sister? Why keep it secret for so long?

Hell, it would have still been a secret for many years to come had the alcohol not been speaking through Iris's aunt.

Zayn's thoughts seemed to summon Renna, for she came stomping through his doorway a few minutes later. For the very first time in months, the woman was not blackout drunk when she approached him. Of course, that probably had a lot to do with the fact that Zayn had paid off the bartender to not serve her.

"This is your fault," her withered face was angry and pale. Gods, the woman had certainly seen better days. Zayn hoped she'd revitalize after a few more days of being clean. She'd had a good many days to sleep off her hangover... and now that she had, she was ready to confront the general about his unwelcome intrusion into her life.

"Of course." He did not deny it. She went to argue, but Zayn stood up and cut her off with a glare he'd used many times in his life. "It's good you have your wits about you. Finally. We have a lot to talk about, you and I."

She snarled. "How dare y-."

"Do you know what you told me, Renna?" Zayn didn't even let her finish her sentence. "The other day before you went face down into your breakfast?"

For the first time in a long time, Iris's aunt's face fell into a thoughtful expression. After that, it drew a blank. Zayn knew she had no idea what she'd said. In fact, he was counting on her not remembering. His words would have more effect that way.

"I'll ask you once; who is Cricket?" Zayn asked, and then shoved various pieces of evidence into her arms before she could refute his words. The top piece was the family picture he'd found first. With a pointed finger, he poked the child's visage. "Who is that?"

Renna's face paled, losing all of its wrath immediately. She looked like she'd taken a slap to the face. Her eyes moved down to the picture, and Renna found herself at a complete loss for words. Zayn respectfully let her take in the moment in silence. After a few seconds, tears and the look of profound loss found the woman's eyes. Renna's arms went slack and all of the parchment fluttered to the floor in a defeated heap. Seeing that, Zayn's expression softened.

"Wanna talk about it?" he asked.

"No, I don't. Never in my life have I ever been prepared to talk about her," Renna said. Yet, her face was yielding, bearing the expression of surrender. "But I suppose I will. Though I don't know what you want to hear."

"Iris had a sister," Zayn began.

Renna took a seat, breathing in deep from the air around her. "Aye. She did. A long time ago. And were it not for me, she'd still have one."

"Don't blame yourself." Zayn now took a seat beside her, doing his very best to comfort the woman. He knew that this would be a crucial moment for Renna's well-being. He had to keep her together, no matter the cost. For Iris's sake. Hell, for Renna's sake. She had once been a friend to him. He didn't wish to see her despair.