Chapter Twenty Five

A/N -- Announcement time! For those of you that didn't know, Fearless is under complete overhaul right now. What does that mean? That means that every single chapter is in the process BEING COMPLETELY REWRITTEN. Not just edited... REWRITTEN. In this revision, I hope to fix the prose I wrote in high school and make sure it flows better into the sequel. There will enough changes to warrant being reread, so I'll be sure to announce when I'm done! So far, I've 5 chapters fully revised (Prologue, Ch. 1, Ch. 2, Ch.3, and oddly? Ch. 14 so far).

Warning: Strong language.

It had taken Kayde and Hench fifteen days total to complete their mission. Iris knew, because she had each day tallied on a piece of parchment. The rogue had indeed done her best to stick to her usual schedule, but combat training was far more lackluster without Hench there to challenge her. In fact, she had just gotten done wailing on a practice dummy for the past four hours --and wasn't that just boring as all hell? She had no one to talk to and not much of anything to do but wait on Hench to get back.

Iris had already prepared herself to slog through another day when she'd heard news that had turned her day around entirely. As she was walking out of the mess hall after lunch, she'd overheard a couple guardians talking about how Hench had finally gotten back to the sanctuary an hour before.

And those words? Those words sent bursts of glee right through the rogue. Iris could hardly contain her relief or excitement at their return, which had almost come as a surprise. She had no idea just how much she'd truly missed Hench and Kayde until the moment she'd learned that they were back at the sanctuary.

Iris immediately took off down the hallways in quick pursuit, hoping to find at least one of them. Surely they were done reporting to Master Dyran by now, if the talk had been right and they'd gotten back an hour ago.

Iris scanned each corridor quickly, passing from one to the other on quick feet and nearly ramming headlong into several people. Iris turned yet another corner rapidly, having another near collision. She mouthed an apology to the nameless guardian and readied herself to bolt again.

Except, she couldn't.

From behind, a strong hand grabbed Iris's shoulder to still her and whirl her back around the way she'd just came. And finally, Iris's eyes landed on a familiar large form.

"Hey, take it easy," Hench urged before Iris could react. "I mean, gods damn. Where are you off in such a hurry to?"

Iris grinned at hearing that voice again, not able to help herself. She'd been so lonely over the past two weeks, seeing someone she knew was almost euphoric. At Iris's unfaltering expression, Hench just furrowed her brows and took a cautionary step back. "What in the world are you smiling like that for?" the mighty woman asked.

"You're back," Iris answered. "I've missed you. I've got so many questions to ask you!"

"Oh gods, really?" Hench said aloud, palming her forehead. "Already?"

Iris answered with a devilish grin. "No. Not really --just thought it'd be funny to say." Hench just shook her head at her recruit's antics, appreciating Iris's attempt at humor. Meanwhile, Iris chuckled at her mentor's blatant dislike of pointless questions and spoke again. "But I have missed you. I wasn't kidding about that part. I'm glad you made it back safe from your two week extravaganza."

"Interesting choice of phrase, though I don't know if I'd call what I was doing an extravaganza," Hench pointed out and smiled a small smile in return. "But thank you, girl. I missed you too. We'll have to catch up later today."