Chapter Ninety Two

A/N -- First off, I finally painted Dane for you guys! Even made sure to look at a painting of Rhalla and actually give him some of her facial features --aside from the black eyes!

AND SWOON. Enjoy.

GORGEOUS SONG

Iris stood at the funeral beside Azabela, staring forward at where Master Dyran's body rested on a large pyre. Every guardian was out watching -even some of the soldiers, including Zayn, had joined in. Iris's mind was quite far from here, however. In all the madness and anticipation of battle -of fear... Iris hadn't even noticed that she hadn't bled in quite some time. Not until the panther started sniffing at her... not until Lelandra had mentioned getting her bleeding this moon... not until Azabela had started talking about testing all of the women for pregnancy.

It had hit her like a big sack of stones. She hadn't bled. Suddenly, a possibility had snuck up right on her, without her even noticing. The possibility of a son or daughter being born to her. A little one -taking up residence.

She wouldn't know for sure until after the funeral. Azabela had mixed the test and let Iris do her part, but the water took an hour to turn orange once it was blended, if she indeed carried a child. Iris took a large swallow, and thought of having to tell her father and mother if she was indeed with child. She thought about having to lay down her weapons for a few months. She thought about the pain of child-birth, which even Hench had claimed as unfathomable. The idea of it all terrified her.

It almost brought her over the edge, but something brought her back. The image of a little girl or boy, standing against a doorframe, staring up at her with big eyes as she marked their height in charcoal. A little lump under the covers, snoring and dreaming sweet dreams. Iris imagined the way Kayde would smile.

"Tonight," Rhalla finally called out, beginning the proceedings and disturbing Iris's thoughts. "With great sorrow, we bid farewell to a brilliant man, a fearless master, and an honest friend. Tonight, we lay a good soul to his rest. May his eyes see the light of a thousand suns; may his skin feel the warmth of their rays. His soul sails on an open sea set to the farthest horizon. May his soles meet the sand, may his feet find the shore. May he find peace with his makers and return to their side." Rhalla took a breath, her voice wavering as she spoke the Eldian final rites. "Dyran Morvais ventures now into a land of far, far greater purpose than this world can even fathom... from a far, far better respite than we can ever understand. On this day, he knows no fear."

She looked to all the mourning guardians. "The Remordan custom is that I lay him to rest." There was a silence. "But his will is to leave as ashes. So he will burn. I break tradition in giving the rite of send-off to the legacy he left behind, his flesh and blood, his only born son, who will send him away in my stead."