Chapter Seventy Three

A/N -- Sort of proofread. Maybe it's good all the same. ALSO THE SONG IS PERFECTION. So many good tracks coming your way (I've been hoarding them) these last few chapters. Listen!

Every single person in the entourage kept a very close eye on Dane as they headed to the cave he'd mentioned, Hench and Azabela especially. Rhalla's hand was bracing him between the shoulders, just in case. Whether or not it helped him walk, no one knew. But his mother's touch comforted Dane.

"Who else did they have?" Iris asked Dane as they walked, fiddling with her cowl in her hands. She'd decided to leave it off until it was time to begin the mission. "Did they capture Aunt Renna?"

Dane shook his head. "No. I wasn't with her when they... ambushed me. I guess you could say it was an ambush." Both Hench and Iris took a breath of relief. They didn't have Renna. That was at least some good news.

"The baron said he had two others close to your mother," Dyran started. "Were they with you?"

Dane smiled a little. "He doesn't have them anymore." He pointed a little way ahead. "I had two others as cellmates, yes. They're now sitting in that cave up there." The mouth of it was visible to the group.

There were no more questions. Dane stepped ahead of the group a bit, and with what little energy he had left in him, jogged forward to the opening. The rest followed a few yards behind. When he stopped in his tracks, so did they... watching from a small distance. Dane called out. "Hey, it's alright to come on out. We're all safe. Help is here."

Everyone waited. Inside the cave, shuffling about could be heard.

That moment. Right there. If life were a book, it would have been described as the calm right before the storm of a lifetime. Everyone stood silent and waiting, unaware that the next moment would change so many lives so greatly. In that particular moment, the peace felt much like an augury. A forewarning. A sign. Figuratively, it was the tranquil, grey sky. Everyone was exceedingly unaware of what the next moment would bring.

And then the gales hit. The rain poured. The lightning streaked. The thunder crashed. All at the same time, the tempest raged in.

Elliot and Irila Gwenneth walked out of that cave together.

Suddenly, for the first time in over twenty years... the entire Gwenneth family faced each other. For a moment, there was silence. Irila and Elliot Gwenneth met Iris's face, and stopped walking for a minute, as if someone had physically bolted them both to the ground. For a minute, it was so impossible that it was real. But after a moment, no one faded away. They were all there. If it were possible for humans to combust, Iris would have. From beyond, Hench's color completely drained from her face and something in her chest choked her breath. She had been prepared to meet Iris. She had been prepared to meet Renna. She had not prepared for this. Suddenly, involuntary tears poured down her cheeks.

"Who is that?" Azabela whispered, trying to pull her beloved from her stupor.

Hench didn't answer her -couldn't answer her. Nor did she have to. Iris was the first to call out to them.

"Mom?" she said, her voice nearly childlike. "Dad?"

Dane looked back at the group, grinning.

"Iris," came Elliot's voice. "Iris." Meanwhile, Irila clasped two hands over her mouth and wobbled on her feet. Elliot grabbed one of Irila's shoulders to steady her and said to Iris. "Come here, sweet girl."