Chapter Twenty Seven

A/N -- Song really sets the mood for the chapter!

Dead. Iris fell apart inside. Cricket was dead --just as everyone else was in her family. Her hopes had gotten up for nothing. Iris just stumbled a bit backward. Not only dead... likely murdered. It took a long minute for Iris to say anything, as her emotions that day had been all over the place. But when she did? "Hench," she whispered, "How. Did. My. Sister. Die?" Before her mentor had a chance to say anything, Iris spoke again. "No, actually," she choked. "No, I don't want to know."

Hench just stared sadly at Iris --who just left the room. She'd been so... so happy. There for a moment, Iris had another chance. She'd gotten off to such a good start too. Gods, why couldn't her parents have told her about Cricket. Perhaps then she could have found her in time, before she had died!

Gods. Cricket hadn't even lived a happy life. She'd died in misery.

Iris didn't look at anyone as she walked down the hall. And suddenly? The death of each of her family members hit her full force once more, except this time, the death of an innocent little girl had been added to the mix. Once again, Iris was reminded once more just how terribly alone she was in this world.

Just like that, Iris no longer wanted to see anyone or talk to anyone. She didn't want to do anything. She wanted to shut the world away. It was a familiar feeling --it had been this way when her father had first died. For that moment, guardian training didn't matter anymore --nothing mattered anymore.

Iris sped into her room and shut the door behind her --except she wasn't alone. Kayde still waited on her inside her living quarters, sitting on the edge of her bed.

"Iris," he said, slowly. "What's wrong?"

"I don't have a sister anymore. She's dead. My sister is dead, Kayde --just like the rest of them." She shook her head, and for a moment, a tear escaped her eye. "Just... leave me to myself. I don't want to see anyone, I'm sorry."

"No," Kayde said, and his voice resounded about the room. Iris jerked a little in reaction to his response, not expecting that answer. The guardian just shook his head at her. "That's the worst thing in the world I could do for you, Iris. I don't care what you say, I'm staying right here." Just as promised, he didn't leave.

"Kayde," Iris whispered, in disbelief. "Just don't..."

"Listen to me," he stood and walked in front of her. "Things are going to be just fine --they are. I won't let you do this to yourself again."

"How?" Iris asked. "How are things going to be alright? My sister was raped and then she was killed. And I'm alone again."

Kayde pulled her over to sit beside him on the side of her bed. She didn't resist. "How are you alone?" he finally asked, his voice a whisper. "Iris, believe it or not there are still people in this world who love you. It's shit that the gods took your family away --but you aren't alone. Renna loves you, Zayn loves you... hell, Hench loves you too. She has to. You have changed so many lives, Iris." Kayde told her. "You've certainly changed mine, and there isn't anything in this world I, or the others I mentioned, wouldn't do for you. You are so loved."

Iris just stared at him. He squeezed her shoulder, doing his best to comfort her. "Iris, I'm not just going to leave your fire to die again. Don't ask me to. I will rekindle it again and again, if that's what it takes." With a small smile, he used a thumb to wipe a tear from her eye. "Don't you give up again."