Chapter Fifty

"Zayn's people are here," Master Dyran said to Hench as she sat in her office, catching up on some overdue work at her desk. "I've already had them swear in their secrecy oaths regarding our location. They should be ready around noon for the meeting we're having regarding the baron." Hench looked up from her paperwork. "They claim to have new information on the estate."

"They all scouts, then?" she asked after a second of thought.

"Most. Not all," Master Dyran answered. He went quiet for a moment before adding. "They have another one of you with them."

"Another one of me?" Hench raised a brow. "I don't know what you mean by that." She assumed he might mean another large, muscular woman.

Dyran seemed to read her. "There isn't another like you in this world, my commander. Trust me. I was not speaking in reference to you exactly," he paused. "I meant that some of Zayn's men were able to rescue another woman from the estate. Another one of the captives, I should have said. Forgive me. Either way, she'll have updated information on what you've already told us. Perhaps even how many women are there now."

Hench couldn't hide her surprise. "Someone else got out?"

"Indeed," Dyran said with a nod. "I've brought her up to speak with you. I figured any new information on the women should pass through you first --as you're the only one of us who has been inside. Perhaps it will be insightful."

Hench thought about that for a minute. "Very well. Send her in."

Dyran nodded and ducked into a small bow. He left a moment later. Hench just waited and finally, someone came in. It was a woman, small and impeccably dressed. She had shiny, long hair and a heart-shaped face. Despite the friendship they'd cultivated in their younger years, Hench no longer recognized Elizabeth Or'vail. Over a decade of age had blossomed Elizabeth from girl to woman since then, and the baron had since sculpted her and refined her until she was a faultless jewel.

The girl's eyes just flashed over Hench, and Elizabeth almost was startled. The guardian master confirmed that she'd get to meet the other escaped captive, of which there had only been one aside from herself, but he'd told her nothing else. She'd walked in fully expecting an older version of the tiny, beautiful Cricket. But something else had sculpted her old friend --a hand rigid and powerful instead of artistic and delicate.

Hench stood up to full height, and Elizabeth had to look over her once... twice... three times. The woman was made up of hulking muscles and inky tattoos. Powerful legs went on for what seemed like miles, bringing her to over a foot taller than Elizabeth herself was. PAIN and RAGE were promises of black ink on her fingers, and the curls that had once been Cricket's pride had been shorn into something far shorter.

Elizabeth had to physically look up to meet her eyes. She almost didn't believe this was her Cricket, until Hench offered a small smile at her. Suddenly, the last remnants of her old friend were completely present in the face.

"Oh," was all Elizabeth could say.

"Greetings, girl," came a robust voice, and the mighty woman held out a hand for Elizabeth to shake. "My name is Rhalla. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Hench just watched as the girl stammered a bit before taking her hand in a light handshake.

When Elizabeth was completely lost for words, Hench picked up the conversation. "It is my understanding that we share a common enemy." The large woman took a seat again at the other side of the desk, and motioned for Elizabeth to sit as well. "An enemy that you may know more of than myself. Until now, the most we have to go on is my fifteen year old information, I'm afraid. Care to sit and talk?"