Chapter Sixty Five

A/N -- Without further ado... enjoy!

It was nearly time to leave out the next morning when Zayn was putting on his armor. Now, he was alone in his office. Elizabeth was already ready for departure outside. He hated leaving her out there, even if he knew she wouldn't be bothered. It was better than watching him undress though. The sight or sound of that might've scared her something awful.

He'd just got his chain pants on when his door burst wide open behind him. He whipped around, sword at ready, and the door was already shut. No one at the camp would have opened the door without knocking.

"Oh, relax," came a female voice. "No need for a sword. We need to talk."

Zayn was so surprised, he stumbled over words. He had to take a minute to register her face. The woman was little in stature, but she looked threatening indeed with her attire. Long black hair was wrapped, braided, and beaded in a wild array around her face -sporting feathers at random intervals. Her body was suited in supple leather armor and the pelt of a white wolf draped itself over her shoulders. Her small feet were booted to the knees, and laced tight in leather wraps... just as the large bow at her back. What looked like two small war-horns were belted across her chest.

The girl's face was painted for war. It was as if someone had drug four paint-tipped fingers in a diagonal pattern over her face, and rounded her eyes with the same black grease. But Zayn recognized the face under all of it.

Problem was, he didn't quite remember her name. "Uh... Arabella? Arabelle?" he asked, covering his bare torso with crossed arms.

She scoffed. "Azabela." The huntress went on to say,"...and here I thought I was memorable. Tsk tsk."

"Azabela. Right," he furrowed his brows. "There's such a thing as knocking."

She grimaced. "Right. Sorry. I was in a rush and forgot entirely... I wasn't sure if I'd get here in time." She looked around. "Your men traveled through Eda. I saw them just yesterday. I have to ask you... this is for the march, isn't it? On the baron? I heard from Rhalla that Eldian soldiers were working with the guardians. Are you going very soon?"

Zayn straightened up. "It is. And I believe so, yes. Why?"

"Oh, I knew it. Oh Rhalla, you secretive bitch," Azabela barely grumbled to herself. She stopped herself though, as she was in the room with the general. "I came to ask you to take me along with your men. I want to help this mission. I want to join the fight."

"Are you not fighting already?" Zayn asked, a little surprised.

"I told Rhalla to tell me when the march was starting. She had a chance to tell me just the other day, but she did not. I'm not waiting around Eda to find out she's been killed," Azabela explained. "I'm asking you to bring me. I won't be a hassle... in fact, I can be a tremendous asset. I'm a good scout and a good tracker. I'm a good huntress too, if it calls for it. You've seen me use a bow," she walked right up to his desk. "I never miss. Let me come -at least to the sanctuary. Good with a bow or not, I don't want to take chances going all by myself."

Zayn breathed through his nose. "As you wish. We leave in an hour. Now let me suit up."

There was another knock at the door just then. Zayn sighed. "Come in," he called. I guess, he wanted to add... but did not.

Both Azabela and Zayn turned to see the door yield to Elizabeth Or'vail. She looked as delicate and beautiful as a blossoming flower. Her mass of hair was curly and pulled back with her jeweled combs. Zayn had had her a riding dress tailored since she'd been staying with him. The pale pink hue of it brought out the rose of her cheeks and lips.