Chapter Five

Nixie couldn't help it as eventually all emotions that had been building up inside of her overflowed and brought her to tears at the mentioning of Sirius asking her for. A deep fear of him changing his mind during his years gone or perhaps him changing entirely had struck several nerves. But to know that he thought about her when she thought about him just filled her with happiness and relief. 

"Oh Nixie I didn't mean to make you cry.." Remus frowned.

"Don't apologize, Remus." Meri told him. "They're happy tears, trust me on that."

Nixie nodded her head at her mother's words before grabbing a tissue from the middle of the table and wiping her face.

"I'm sorry...I just..gah...I miss him so much. I've missed all of you so much while I was gone and this is just the happiest I've been in a long time." Nixie confided in him.

Remus gave her a small smile, apparently trying to hold back his own crying. "I've missed you too, Nixie. Losing James and Lily so soon after Marlene, then I thought Peter...then Sirius and you were gone. What you said back at his sentencing-"

"No," Nixie shook her head, dismissing the memory," I should have never told you that, or Dumbledore for that matter. I was just so upset at the time, Remus."

"You had every right to be, Nixie. After all, you were the one who was right. This entire time...and yet all this time later, you still didn't give in on your beliefs that he was innocent. You've remained so loyal to him, I know he's going to be thrilled when he finally sees you."

"If I get to see him.." Nixie muttered under her breath.

"You will." Remus told her. "I don't think he'll go very long without trying to find...he just has to be careful right now."

"I understand."

She suddenly heard Remus' chair scoot back and suddenly the man was on his feet as if he was preparing to leave so soon.

"Where are you going?" she asked him. 'You can't just be leaving right now, you only just got here."

Remus shifted uncomfortably. "I'm afraid I have to cut this visit short as much as I don't want to but..I have other matters to attend to Nixie."

"Such as?"

"Such as introducing myself to my daughter."

Nixie had chosen the wrong time to pick up her glass of water for  drink as it quickly shattered to the ground, as fast as Meri's jaw dropped.

Completely neglecting the broken glass on the floor, Nixie stared at Remus for a good minute before actually saying something.

"You have a daughter, Remus? I...what?"

Remus scratched the side of his face in a nervous manner before dropping it to his side.

"Yes."

"How old is she?" Meri asked with an excited look.

"Well, she'll probably be turning sixteen here this month..."

If Nixie had another glass near by, it would have been shattered as well.

"What?! Sixteen? But Remus, I've only been gone for nearly thirteen and...when...what?"

"I know, I...I didn't believe it myself at first Nixie. I couldn't place where I knew the girl from but she looked so bloody familiar! It was haunting me all year that I couldn't place who she reminded me of and then I realized who she reminded me of all along."