Chapter One Hundred Nineteen

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

"So how is she?" Meri asked as Sirius came down the stairs of the home and found her in the kitchen, a cup of water in hand. He had a distraught look on his face, certainly not an expression one would wear after a healthy baby was born. The man walked over and sat down in one of the chairs, not looking directly at Meri as he began to speak. 

"Tonks was a little tired but-"

"Not her!" Meri snapped at him. "It's all fine and dandy that she's okay. I'm happy for her and Remus, believe me. But I'm asking about Nixie, you know, my daughter....your wife? How is she doing? How are you?"

Sirius looked confused for a moment, trying to play off that everything was fine. He and Nixie were just fine. They were happy for their best friend welcoming a son into the world and they were happy for Tonks as she seemed all too excited. Yes, they were happy but at the same time, as Meri could clearly see, they were dying on the inside. Just when they stopped thinking about the possibility of not having their own child, something always had to come back as a stabbing reminder. 

Sirius saw it as clear as day on his wife's face as she had been holding Teddy, how she would look as a mother, and he knew how desperately he wanted her to be a mother. But not just any mother to any child, he wanted her to be the mother of his child. He wanted to be a father too, he couldn't deny that. He remembered back when they were younger and he first brought up the idea of if their child would take after the mermaid genetics. He remembered the silence and the bewildered look that was on Nixie's face because, at the time, she wasn't thinking of having children. 

But he had been at the time, of course, he wasn't expecting it to be right away, but he had longed envisioned what their children would look like or how they would act. He dreamed of it often, whether it was a girl sometimes or a boy. It didn't really matter in his head, the only important thing was in his dreams, the child was happy and Nixie was happy. That's all he wanted, really, for his dreams to become a reality. It just seemed the forces of nature were against his dreams for the moment. 

One of the things that bewildered him the most after he escaped from Azkaban was learning that Nixie remained out at sea for all those years. She could have moved on with her life, she could have met someone else and started up a family having her own children by that time. But she didn't, instead, she isolated herself from nearly everyone except for her mother, not willing to settle for anything or anyone unless it involved him. She didn't want to have children unless she had them with him and she didn't want anyone else but Sirius. No one could ever understand how much she loved him and how dedicated she was to her husband.No one could ever take that away from her either. 

"I don't know what you want me to say," Sirius said quietly, " she finally stopped crying if that says anything. Kept that smile on her face and she would have kept it on her face if I told her she didn't have to hide behind it anymore. I saw her holding Teddy and how happy she was and then I saw her have to hand him over and watched all that happiness just disappear within seconds. Then we came home, she tried to play it off until I called her out on it and I managed to make her cry...again. Seems that's all I'm good for if you need a good reason to cry, come to me-"