Chapter Twenty Two

Nixie's stomach was growling louder than ever, and her head ached something fierce from being in the cave for so long. Buckbeak was resting beside her, and all she could do was try to keep her eyes open and her head up or she would fall asleep in a heart beat. Sirius, once again, had left the cave. For what purpose she wasn't sure. She wasn't sure of many things at that point since being stuck inside the cave for however long. She couldn't remember what day it was, what month, she was even beginning to question the year. As much as she wanted to be close to Harry, she wasn't sure if being stuck in the cave was going to offer much help to the boy.

Her body was angry with her from the lack of nutrients, the lack of sunlight, the lack of being able to move, not to mention, not entering the water for quite sometime. Nixie felt as though she was coming close to Death. Entering the Black Lake would be her best bet, but she was going to have to wait until night fall.

She looked down to the pile of newspapers that were collected up in the cave as Sirius normally snatched one up when he ventured to Hogsmeade. She frowned seeing the old reports of people missing, such as Bertha Jorkins. Nixie hadn't known the woman well, especially during her time in Hogwarts, she was an older student at the time of Nixie's attendance. However, Sirius described her to be gossipy and not all that bright, but it still didn't mean she deserved to experience an ill fate. Rita Skeeter on the other hand, if she continued to write slanderous articles about Harry, the stupid cow of a woman was going to find herself at the bottom of the Black Lake, personally invited by Nixie, herself.

Harry had enough to deal with considering he was the youngest champion throughout the entire competition, not to mention trying to figure out who had placed his name in the Goblet to begin with. Sirius had first brought up the name Karkaoff as a possibility, but the two knew he had strayed from the Death Eaters long ago.

They had to figure out who was behind the whole scenario and why.

So far luck was on Harry's side as he survived the first task against the dragons but Nixie knew the tasks would only become more difficult.

The second task was coming up and Sirius had asked Harry about when his next trip to Hogsmeade would be using the Weasley's little owl, Pigwidgeon. She wasn't sure about meeting up being a good idea but she lacked the energy to argue.

The sun was almost completely set, leaving the sky dark. Nixie couldn't take it anymore, she needed to get in the water and fast. Picking herself up off the cold cave floor, her body groaned in pain, as Buckbeak lifted his head and watched her.

"It's alright, Beaky." she said gripping her head. "I won't be long, but if I don't do this...I'll be dead...or someone else will be."

Leaving through the mouth of the cave, Nixie had to be careful not to be seen by anyone. Cloaked in darkness, she was able to reach the outskirts of the Black Lake, seeing the Hogwarts castle in the distance.

So many memories and emotions overwhelmed as she stood in the spot where she had once stood after graduating Hogwarts along with Sirius, Lily, James, Remus and Peter.

Looking up, she was able to see the full moon tucked behind one of the clouds before she decided to enter the water.

Ignoring the sensation of her legs binding and her tail taking form, Nixie was more than pleased with the relief her body felt as soon as her skin felt the water.  She swam below the surface to remain hidden. The relaxing feeling of the water was enough to make her want to stay below for hours. But she knew she couldn't do that. If Sirius returned before she did and found the cave empty, she already knew what his reaction would be.

He would panic terribly and she didn't need him to do anything silly. Just a dip in the lake water would be enough to last her awhile. However as she went to swim towards the surface. She caught sight of a shadow swimming passed her suddenly.

"Nini, I-" Sirius had shifted back into his normal form as soon as he had arrived back to the cave, only to find Buckbeak still in his same spot but Nixie was gone.

"Nini?"

Instantly, his mind wandered to the idea that he had been gone for too long causing Nixie to grow worried and go after him. And possibly getting caught.

He went to turn and head back out of the cave in search of her, when he saw her appear at the mouth of the cave. Her hair was dripping wet and she was slightly out of breath.

"Nini? I-"

"I know what the second task is."