Chapter Ninety

Sirius had been facing his own problems on the ground with Buckbeak at his side, luckily, he had been able to fend off the Death Eaters that came at him. Running them off towards the castle, he approached the castle as well, however, from where he was, he could see the flash of a bright green light.

The Killing Curse.

Through the cloudiness of the Dark Mark overcasting the night sky, Sirius saw something large falling from the Astronomy Tower and saw he traveled closer, he could make out Dumbledore's body hurling towards the ground and another body falling as well. He barked towards Buckbeak before he took off in the direction of the man, he came to a skidding halt transforming back to his human form to pull out his wand but it was too late as Dumbledore hit the ground. The other body belonged to a Death Eater but Sirius didn't even bother to look over at the other body.

A sound that could only be related to horror escaped his lips as the Headmaster's blood splattered over his own robes. He was still for a moment unable to wrap this mind around what had just happened. He dropped down to his knees trying to check to see if the man was alive, despite knowing that he wouldn't have been able to survive the fall. 

A surge of hope ran through Sirius as he searched the man for any of Eleanor's knitting garments, but there was none.

"No...no..." He couldn't prevent the tears that started to fall no matter how hard he tried. "This can't be happening."

Their leader was dead.

 Dumbledore was dead and the war wasn't even over, the Order was left without their leader. The man had been a mentor to all of them at some point in their lives, helped them out in so many scenarios. It hurt Sirius even more, to know that Dumbledore had only just apologized to him a short while ago, trying to make things right.

It wasn't right, they couldn't lose him, not right then. They needed Dumbledore.

But the grieving would have to be put on hold as his ears picked up on yelling in the distance. He turned his head towards the shouting and focused on the voices.

Harry.

Snivellus.

A growl left Sirius as he transformed back into his dog form and took off, hearing the sounds of what sounded like Severus taunting Harry in the distance.

"Blocked again and again and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter!"

There were figures in the distance running towards the gates to escape, he could only assume it was the Death Eaters trying to get away so they could disapparate from the grounds. When Sirius finally got to where Harry was dueling with Severus, the boy was knocked back roughly and Sirius was filled with rage as he let out an angry series of barks.

Severus looked over at the large black dog that was stalking its way towards him in a threatening matter. All teeth were bare, the hackles along his back were up, and the growling was incredibly loud echoing in the night air. 

Harry painfully tried to push through the aftermath of the curse to sit up and saw Sirius' form preparing to fight but the two were surprised as Buckbeak swooped down to attack Severus. The hippogriff was relentless with attacking the man, running him off the castle grounds until Severus was the appropriate distance to disapparate.

Quickly, Sirius was at his godson's side to help the boy up. "Where are you hurt?" he asked. 

"I'm fi...I'm fi..."Harry couldn't even bring himself to say that he was fine because he knew it was all a lie. He wasn't fine at all, he had been rendered useless to save Dumbledore. He couldn't believe it, he couldn't believe that Dumbledore was dead.