Chapter Forty Three

Nixie and Sirius hadn't slept at all through the evening as they remained wide awake in the kitchen, listening to the uncomfortable groans and whimpering cries of the children through the night. Nixie had her forehead resting in the palm of her hand, praying that someone from the Order would arrive soon with some good news. Arthur was a tough man to be attacked and on the brink of death was unsettling for all and she couldn't imagine how fearful the man was for his own life. Thinking of his large family and not to mention the rest of the Order he would be believing behind. She thought of the Weasley children and how distressed they would be upon losing their father, instantly, she had to stop herself or she risked crying in front of Sirius. She didn't want to upset him any further.

Looking over at Sirius, it was funny how the man was always concerned about her lack of sleep, but seeing the dark bag under his eyes, while his eyelids continued to grow heavy. She could see that he needed sleep above anyone else.

Reaching her hand across, she settled it over his, dragging him out of his thoughts momentarily. He didn't look up right away, instead, he stared at her hand before taking his other hand and holding hers with both of his.

Finally, Molly arrived with good news, Arthur was alright, not in the best condition, but he would survive. As much as Nixie and Sirius wanted to go and visit the man, Nixie knew she was better off staying behind with Sirius.

"Why don't you take a nap until the others get back?" She suggested to him as he continued to sit at the table long after the children left with Molly. She rubbed his shoulders lightly as she stood behind him.

"Not sure if sleeping is the best idea right now, Nini."

"Really, I think it's a fantastic idea."

Sirius chuckled before looking over his shoulder at her. "Fine, we'll make a deal. I'll nap, if you nap....with me."

"You drive a hard bargain, Mr. Black." She smiled before wrapping her arms around him. "But you've got yourself a deal."

The nap was short but it was what Sirius needed during stressful times, with the worry of keeping his godson and wife safe along with the rest of Order, Sirius could feel himself aging rapidly. It didn't help that he could tell that Nixie was braving a smile everyday, the same thing she had done when they had first joined the Order years ago. She wore the same smile until she finally broke and there was no easy way to put the pieces back together.

He remembered the first time when he had met her and had been informed by Remus that Nixie was "afraid" of water. When she was sorted into Gryffindor, he had the toughest time believing how she had been able to make her way into the house, believing there was no ounce of bravery in the girl. However, over the years, Nixie had proved to him time after time that she was a true Gryffindor. Not only was she brave, she certainly had the nerve and was more than daring in multiple scenarios.

Sirius knew she had been rightfully placed and couldn't imagine her being in any other house.

"Your eyes are opened," Nixie muttered as she rested beside him in their room. "That's not napping."

Sirius grinned before pushing her hair out of her face. "No, I think I heard some movement downstairs. I think the others are back, you can stay up here and rest if you'd like, I'll head downstairs..."

Nixie let out a small groan but managed to push herself to sit up. "Nap time is over."

When the children returned, they all seemed to be in better spirits as they joined Nixie and Sirius in the kitchen to hear stories of Nixie's time at Hogwarts with the boys, Lily and Marlene. She was talking about going out to the water during the night to fulfill her mermaid needs.

"You were able to just roam around at night...just like that?" George questioned.

"Well, I had special permission from Dumbledore." Nixie told him. "I had to be able to go to the water when I needed."

"However, she used that excuse far too many times when she in fact was not going to the water." Sirius grinned.

The twins smiled as they exchanged glances.

"Me? You all used me as an excuse whenever you were caught out after dark. Oh, we were on our way to keep Nixie company. Honest." She mocked Sirius' voice.

"Got us out of a lot of trouble with Filch." Sirius said with a wink.

"Nice." Fred and George said.

"So I have a question." Ginny stated. "Have you ever gotten stuck as a mermaid? You said you change on the full moon, what happens if you don't leave in time?"

"Oh I have gotten stuck but it was on purpose. You have to say in the water for the entire month afterwards. It could be terrible sometimes."

"How could it be terrible to be a mermaid?!" Eleanor exclaimed.

"You don't understand how dark those waters can get." Nixie responded. "Just like how people on land discriminate due to the "purity" of blood, the waters are no different."

Eleanor and the others grew silent.

"Come now," Nixie said perking up her tone, "don't look so solemn, you don't have to worry about mermaids. Trust me, they stay in the water unless it's to mate or give birth..nothing more."

"You should tell them what your cousin's name is." Sirius nudged Nixie's shoulder. Nixie rolled her eyes knowing what he was getting at.

"After all these years you still find that funny?!" she said looking at him.

"Wait we want to know the name!" Fred said with a hopeful face.

Nixie made a face. "I have a cousin name Conch."

The teens burst into laughter around the table along with Sirius and eventually Nixie laughed as well.

When the majority cleared out the room, Eleanor remained behind with Nixie to help her clean up a bit while Sirius walked around mumbling to himself.

"What are you looking for, dear?" Nixie asked him.

"Kreacher, he hasn't been around."

'And you're complaining?" she replied baffled.

"Not really. Just wondering what he's up to is all." Sirius said, looking around the room suspiciously.

Harry walked in to get himself a drink.

"Have you seen Kreacher?" Sirius asked Harry. "It's been a few days since I've seen him."

"Haven't seen him." Harry answered.

"Oh well." Sirius gave a shrug. "Maybe he's crawled up into the air ducts and died..."

"Sirius!" Nixie scolded him.

"Mustn't get my hopes up though."

Eleanor and Harry watched as Nixie shook her head at the man. "I'm telling you Sirius, you really ought to be nicer to him."

"Why should I?" Sirius pouted, " he's never been nice to me!"

"Yeah well..it only makes matters worse the more you two go back and forth at each other."

The bickering was suddenly interrupted as Severus Snape appeared in the household, instructed by Dumbledore.

The air grew tense as Sirius and Severus glared at one another.

"Merlin, have mercy." Nixie muttered. "Or Poseidon, whichever."