Chapter Ten

The warmth of the sun beating down on the remote tropical island allowed Sirius to sleep comfortable even if he and Nixie were sleeping out in the open. The warm sand acted as a blanket as he slept as he held onto Nixie tightly through the night as if she would disappear at any given moment. However, there was one thing that disrupted his peaceful slumber.

The birds.

"I swear, the bloody birds anywhere I go...just don't sleep!" he muttered to himself. He tried to open his eyes but the sun was a little too strong for him just waking up. He groaned and reached his free arm up and covered his face.

He quickly realized his free arm was the arm that had been wrapped around Nixie the entire night, and she was no longer asleep beside him.

Sitting up quickly, Sirius found himself alone on the beach, no Nixie or Buckbeak in sight. Ignoring the burning sensation in his eyes from the bright sun and the mixture of sand added, he scrambled to his feet to look around. 

Henry's wand was still in his pocket and he knew if Nixie had left on her own, she probably wouldn't have left the wand behind. He sighed, he wouldn't believe that Nixie would leave him especially during the middle of the night. She would be the type of woman to tell him to his face, but he couldn't imagine as her taking Buckbeak with her. Especially since the two didn't seem to get along very well.

Unsure of which direction to go, Sirius looked up and down the shoreline in hopes of finding some clues that would lead him to his wife.

A large feather sticking out in the sand was his first clue, as he spotted it and then the prints belonging to Buckbeak. He followed the prints quietly listening for any sound that would bring him in the right direction.

The birds in the distance continued to squawk loudly irritating him further until he heard a squawking screech that sounded much bigger and way more familiar.

"Beaky?"

Picking up the pace, Sirius made his way around a bend only to hear the sound of his wife's laughter and find Buckbeak and Nixie together.

It was certainly a sight to see the tropical birds of the island around them, several of them perched on Buckbeak which was irritating the hippogriff greatly but bringing plenty of amusement to Nixie.

"What's going on?" Sirius asked walking over.

"Buckbeak and I are getting to know the natives." Nixie smiled at him. "They really like Beaky."

Buckbeak reared his head back trying to bite at one of the birds but they quickly dodged the attack.

"He's not so fond of them, though." Nixie chuckled.

"That makes two of us." Sirius grumbled as he plopped down beside her in the sand. "The bloody birds won't shut up around here."

"Kinda like our wedding day?" she asked him.

"Similar but those birds weren't as loud as these ones."

"I quite like them." Nixie admitted. "I love their coloring."

The birds were definitely flashy with their bright pastel colors, they were bigger than the size of owls, and walked out with a dodo like waddle that made Nixie laugh.

"They're quite smart too." 

'Are they?" Sirius asked lifting up a brow as one bird, the color of a blue, waddled passed them.

"I know they may not look like it, but I think they are. They are basically worshiping Buckbeak right now. They've been bringing him food all morning."