Chapter Thirteen

'For the last time, Beaky, I'm really not hungry." Nixie sighed looking up at the hippogriff that had dropped yet another fruit by her feet. She looked over at the pile of yellow fruit that seemed to get bigger every time she looked away for a minute. However, the large creature was persistent and continued to bring her more and more to eat.

Using his head, Buckbeak nudged the balls of fruit closer to her.

"I said no, thank you!"

Buckbeak snapped at her angrily, and squawked as if scolding her for not eating.

"If you don't want it to go to waste, you eat it then!" Nixie argued back. He nearly got her the second time as he snapped at her hand.

"Listen you, we're mighty close to my territory, you might want to think twice about stepping up to me like that!" she growled at Buckbeak.

The two glared at each other before Buckbeak picked up one of the fruits and tossed it at her, hitting Nixie on the head.

"Alright, that's it feather arse!" she said standing up. Buckbeak stretched out his wings to give himself a fuller appearance as the woman stormed towards him.

"Don't you flap your wings at me!" Suddenly, she stopped herself and placed her hand over her face. "Merlin's beard, I'm arguing with a hippogriff...I'm arguing with a hippogriff over fruit.. this is what my life has come down to."

Buckbeak watched as the woman paced back and forth before she grabbed one of the fruits from the ground and threw it into the water angrily.

He let out an irritable snort as the woman seemed to be just wasting food by throwing it into the water. She went to throw another piece but Buckbeak grabbed it before she could, holding onto it tightly preventing her from throwing it.

"Let go!" she growled but Buckbeak kept a firm hold with his beak.

"Ugh..." she released it as she struggled to pull it free from the animal.

She plopped back down in the sand and crossed her arms. "What am I still doing here...arguing with you!"

Sirius hadn't returned and it had been hours since she had woken up and found herself alone. She really was beginning to think that he had left her on the island alone and run off somewhere.

But where?

She wasn't sure but she could feel her heart aching in her chest as she thought of him. If he didn't return, she was going to feel horrible as she returned home, alone.

Not only that, but she wasn't about to leave the Hippogriff alone on the island either.

"I adopted a hippogriff...great..." Turning to face Buckbeak once more, Nixie watched as the creature settled himself beside her, but didn't bring himself to look at her.

"You're litter box trained, right?"

Resting in the sand and acting as guard, Buckbeak watched as the woman calmed down after being emotionally unstable for quite sometime. However, he quickly learned that she had just become exhausted as minutes later, she drifted off, using his body as a pillow. Buckbeak curled his body slightly and remained still allowing the distressed woman to rest, waiting for the idiot to get back and tend to her.

Only a few minutes later did the git decide to show his face as he appeared a little ways down from where they were. Buckbeak lifted his head and suddenly began debating whether to wake Nixie or not. He decided against it as Nixie finally looked somewhat at rest.

Sirius made his way over, a bag strapped over his shoulder as he made his way over and went to kneel down at his wife's side but suddenly Buckbeak snapped his beak at him sharply.

"Beaky!" the man scooted back slightly.

Nixie quickly stirred and upon seeing Sirius, her face lit up as she jumped up and tackled Sirius into a hug.

"Whoa, easy Nini!" he said as he felt Nixie's hands grab the back of his  shirt. "Easy, what's wrong?"

"What's wrong?" she repeated. Suddenly, she pulled away  from him and gave him a look.

"Oh Merlin..."

"What's wrong?! Where have you been for the past...however many hours!"

"Wa..I thought...when did you wake up?" Sirius asked.

"A few hours ago! I think..I don't know, I don't have a very good sense of time on this island."

"I'm sorry I didn't think you were going to wake up while I was gone!"

"Where did you go?"

"I went onto the mainland and grabbed a few things." he said pulling the bag off his shoulder and placing it before them. "I figured we would both go mad just living off of fruit and...well...I might have revealed myself to a few of the locals in that area to get the Ministry off our trail."

"You did what?! Do you know how dangerous that was? What if you had caught?'

"I wasn't planning on it!"

"Why did you tell me!" she said pushing him slightly. 

"You were sleeping!"

"Well you could have woken me up! It would have been better than waking up and thinking you just up and left in the middle of the night!"

Sirius frowned. "You...you thought I had abandoned you?"

"What was I supposed to make of it, Sirius...you were just gone.."

"I would never leave you, Nini...not like that..I...that was really stupid, I know. But I really thought you would sleep in...I didn't mean to make you think that I-"

"And it's not just me you had worried either...Buckbeak was all up in arms..er..wings about the situation too."

"Was he? He doesn't look it."

Nixie turned her head to see Buckbeak resting back down in the sand.

"Yeah well...he's exhausted now from worrying over you, that's all."

"I'm sorry, Nini." Sirius said softly. "But...I brought food." 

He waved the bag of food in her face.

"Stop that!"

"You need to eat something, Nini. You keep talking about how I'm nothing but skin and bones, but you need to eat a good amount too."

"What are you trying to say?"

"Um...I love you? Now eat!"