Chapter Seventy

Nixie and Sirius were listening to the suspicions of suspected witches and wizards that were joining under the Lord Voldemort, the majority of them they assumed out of fear. However, at one point, they were pulled away from the conversation by Dumbledore. The Headmaster wanted to have a word with both of them that concerned Harry.

"He's not in trouble, is he?" Nixie asked in a worried tone. "He couldn't have done anything, he's been under our watch the entire time he's been here...."

Dumbledore gave her a kind look but raised his hand to get her to wait so that he could explain. He told the two that he needed Harry for a small task that involved the upcoming school year but the old man didn't reveal any more details. Nixie didn't seem all that willing to let Harry go, however, Sirius placed all the trust in the man, readily agreeing. With no other choice really, she gave her consent but warned the wizard that whatever the task was that Harry better come back without a scratch or there would be consequences.

"Leave it to her to threaten your headmaster," Sirius muttered to Harry. "She's literally yelling at a legend."

"Well, that's why you love her, right?" Harry said glancing up at him.

"Right you are, Jame...Harry," Sirius cleared his throat. "Harry...right you are."

Once Nixie was done sassing Dumbledore, or rather once Sirius pulled Nixie away from Dumbledore to let the man and Harry leave, Harry reassured the two that he would be back soon before they departed. 

"Were you planning on lecturing him for the remainder of the day?" Sirius asked her with an amused look.

"You're damn right I was. I don't see why he couldn't just do the job himself, whatever it is. To be called such a renown wizard, he puts a lot onto Harry's shoulders and I don't like it at all."

Sirius chuckled causing her to glance over in his direction with a stern look. "What's so funny?"

"I'm beginning to think that Lily has possessed you for the moment," he said. "I feel like she would have reacted the same exact way."

Nixie's body relax from her tensed state and a small smile appeared on her lips. "Well, that was the purpose, right? The reason why they made us the godparents...for me to act the role of Harry's mother to the best of my abilities and for you to act like his father. So far, I think we're doing an okay job."

"Okay job? Just okay?" Sirius shook his head causing his hair to escape his ponytail and fall into his face. "Oh no, you can speak for yourself but I'm doing a great job."

Nixie laughed. "Yes, of course, because you react the same exact way that James would."

The two fell silent for a few moments, it was great to think about their friends handling such moments as they pictured Lily and James actually being the parents that Harry deserved. But of course, at the same time, it was terribly hard to think of their best friends and how they were cheated out of such an experience. 

"I miss them..." Nixie sighed. "I miss them so damn much, I can't even think about them without feeling sick on the inside. They should be here...doing all this. We...we were just supposed to be the irresponsible ones that told Harry yes when they said no."

"I know," Sirius said with a nod of his head. "I agree...but at this point, we just need to make the best of things right now. We can make Harry as happy as possible.  And we can still be the ones to do those things that we planned on. I'll tell him yes while you tell him no."

"What?! No way!" She protested. "That'll make you the favorite-"

"Uh, it's too late for that, Nini. I am the favorite."

"How so?!"

"Uh, hello, I can turn into a dog," he said as if it were the most obvious reason.

"Uh...I can turn into a mermaid, what's your point?" She said folding her arms across her chest. Sirius narrowed his eyes at her, trying to be quick about coming up with a response.

"Well, at least my mother didn't try and kill him with her cooking," he pointed out.

"No, your mother just yells and screeches at him on a daily basis."

"Dammit," he muttered under his breath. "I'm funnier!"

"Only because he's laughing at you, not with you. There's a difference..."

"I'M CUTER!" He blurted out as he was completely running out of things to say.

"Yes, I'll agree with you there," she smiled. "But I don't think Harry is basing his liking on who's cuter, Sirius."

"Yeah, if that were the case, I would be the winner."

The two looked over to see Remus standing in the doorway with a sheepish grin on his face.

"Oh no, no no no...and Moony, you stay out of this!" Sirius said. "This between Flipper and me!"

Suddenly, the room became still and quiet and everyone froze. Eventually, Remus took a few cautious steps back while Sirius had a look of regret planted on his face.

"What did you call me?"

Tonks came into the room after hearing a crash to find her cousin on the ground, while Nixie was brushing her hands off. She looked to Remus who looked highly amused. 

"What's going on here?" She asked him.

"A beautiful relationship."

When Harry returned home, Sirius was on one of the sofas, groaning in a dramatic way, making the boy question what happened while he was gone.

"Is he alright?" He asked Nixie.

"Oh him? Yes, he's just fine. You have some mail," she said noting an envelope. "I'm assuming they are your O.W.L.s results. Harry made a face that didn't appear the most confident.

"Come on, it can't be that bad, Harry," she said."Open it up."

Harry tore into the envelope and opened up the results inside. Nixie walked over and smacked the bottom of Sirius' foot as Harry read them over.

He received 7 O.W.L.s in total, bringing a cheerful applause from his godparents that brought him to smile. However, he could not hide the frown that developed on his face once he saw that he had only received an Exceeds Expectations in Potions.

The dream of being an Auror was shot down in a matter of seconds.

"Why are you making that face, Harry?" Sirius asked him. "What's wrong?"

"Well, I got Exceeds Expectations in Potions, but I needed an Outstanding to continue in Professor Snape's class."

"Snivellus, the slimy git, he did it on purpose!" Sirius growled. "Greasy haired mother-"

 "Alright, alright," Nixie said placing her hands up before things got out of control. "Can't we just be happy that Harry received seven O.W.L.s. That's a good thing, you should be very proud of yourself. I'm sure Hermione and Ron have gotten their results too. I can bring you over to the Burrow and you can spend some time with them. How does that sound? Molly's been dying to have you stay over there for a couple of days?"

"Yeah, that sounds great!" Harry smiled. "I'll go grab some of my things."

The two smiled before Harry left up the stairs before Nixie turned back to face Sirius.

"I ought to drag that idiotic bottom dweller to the darkest depths of the sea and....he gave Harry an E?!"

Sirius laughed quietly to himself as the woman walked off to the kitchen cursing angrily as they waited on Harry.