Chapter Eighty Four

With the two men arriving at the Dover household, it was extremely obvious that neither one of them wanted to head inside the house first. To make sure that Nixie was even there to begin with, Sirius and Remus headed down to the water to talk to Meri. The mermaid had definitely been expecting them or at least one of them to show up as she was resting against a rock, smiling in their direction.

"Well, look what the tide dragged in," she greeted them. "Why, gentlemen, you look awfully nervous. Whatever could be the matter?"

Sirius gave his mother-in-law a look before shaking his head. "Is Nixie inside the house?"

"Why don't you go see for yourself?" Meri invited them as she waved her arm in the direction of the home.

The two men frowned before Remus cleared his throat. "Is there any particular day where Nixie, you know, just randomly decides to sharpen knives in the house?"

"Today might just be that day," Meri smiled. "Why don't you two go check it out?"

Sirius made a whimpering noise before turning around before heading back to the house, before he broke into a full dramatic sob. Which did not settle Remus' nerves at all when it came to the situation. The two reached the front steps but neither one of them made any attempt to open the door first as they looked at each other.

"Well?" Remus began. "Aren't you going to open the door to your house?"

"Um...age before beauty, Moony." 

"Sirius, you're older."

"Yes, which makes you younger which counts as an age description and I'm beautiful so...age before beauty."

Remus opened the door but pushed Sirius in first causing Sirius to flinch and cover his head with his arms and hands.However, neither one of them were attacked, the house was quiet and appeared as no one was there.

"Oh Nini," Sirius called out in a timid manner. "Where are you, darling?"

Remus clapped his hand over his face before walking ahead of the man and peering into the kitchen, where he quickly tried to check out the knife situation. But it wasn't necessary as all knives were accounted for and the kitchen was empty. 

The two continued to check the house but there was no sign of Nixie being there and it seemed she was giving them a dose of their own medicine by not including them where she had gone off to. 

"Where do you think she would have gone?" Remus asked Sirius. "I don't think it's a good idea for her to be wandering around if she's upset. That won't do her any good."

Sirius thought for a moment looking around for some inspiration to get an answer, when something finally clicked in his head.

"She might have gone to her father's resting place...that's normally where she goes if she's truly upset. She finds some comfort just talking to him there."

"Alright, let's check there then. If she's not there, we'll have to think of other places where she would go."

The men left and in a short time, they arrived at Henry's resting place, standing close to the man's grave. But Nixie was not there. Sirius swore under his breath, however, shortly after doing so, the wind picked up violently on the rather still day. It howled angrily, whipping the man's hair into his face nearly causing him to inhale it at one point. 

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" Sirius called out, blocking his face, believing he was experiencing the wrath of Henry's spirit. "I wasn't calling Nixie that, it was just an expression!"

The wind died down but not before Sirius was smacked in the face again with his own lock of hair. He glanced over at Remus, who was struggling to hold back his laughter.