Chapter Eighty Three

Despite going to bed in the comfort of Sirius' arms the night before, Nixie woke up one morning completely alone in bed. It wasn't rare to wake up to find herself as the only one left in bed, after all, there was one thing that held true with Nixie from the time she was a baby, she truly enjoyed her sleep. However, most mornings or early afternoons when she woke up, she could hear Sirius, whether he was rummaging through the cupboards downstairs or if he was outside with Buckbeak. But that morning, she woke to an eerie silence and it bothered her to no end. Quickly, the woman was out of bed, wrapping a robe around her as the home felt particularly cold.

Calling out Sirius' name, she was met with no answer, leaving her to instantly panic as she found no note or anything as an indicator that he had stepped out. She didn't need him to keep tabs but it certainly helped during times where the Order was in the danger of Death Eaters and Voldemort. Heading outside, she saw Buckbeak sunbathing, looking extremely relaxed, but as soon as the hippogriff heard the door open, he glanced over and saw the distressed woman. There was nothing he could do to offer her comfort, but she wasn't going to him, to begin with. 

Nixie quickly made her way to the water's edge and as soon as she stepped her foot in, her mother startled her by appearing with a bright grin.

"About time you woke up-" Meri went to tease her daughter over her sleeping habits, but as soon as she caught sight of Nixie's expression, the jokes were put on hold.  "Nixie, what's wrong?!"

"I'm probably just overreacting but I woke up and Sirius was gone. There wasn't a note or anything saying where he went and I just wanted to come here and ask you if he said anything to you about going somewhere."

Nixie spoke at such a rapid speed that Meri had to slow her daughter's words down in her head, in order to process what Nixie was trying to tell her. Unfortunately, once she realized that Nixie was looking for a particular answer, she frowned as she had no idea where Sirius had gone to for the day. Cursing her son-in-law inside her head, Meri looked up at Nixie, hoping she could get her to calm down. While Nixie had proven that she was strong over the last several months with all the chaos unfolding around the group, it was heartbreaking to see how quickly she could return to such a fragile state if a thought was left to fester inside her mind. 

"Did you check at the headquarters?" Meri asked, completely disregarding Nixie still standing in her pajamas. "Perhaps they held a meeting?"

"Without me?" Nixie asked sounding even more hurt. "Sirius and I agreed that he wouldn't hide anything from me anymore. Do you honestly think he went to a meeting without telling me?"

"Sweetheart, I can't be certain of anything right now, I'm just trying to come up with answers for you."

Nixie's eyes narrowed to the point where the full-blooded mermaid suddenly felt intimidated under her harsh glare. "I've had just about enough of this, all these meetings being held behind my back because everyone thinks I'm weak, all because I express emotions. I'm sick of it!"

Meri went to call after Nixie as she stormed back to the house but there was no use, the woman was on the warpath, the only thing the mermaid could do was pray for everyone that was going to be on the receiving end of Nixie's rage.

"Poor stupid bastards, may Poseidon have mercy on your dense minds and souls."

Sirius rubbed his forehead at the news that Ron had been poisoned on his birthday, although it had not been a personal attack on the boy. For his seventeenth birthday, Ron had taken part in drinking some poisoned mead. It was relayed to the order that obviously someone was after Dumbledore's head, someone who had access to the castle. Although Dumbledore did not offer a great amount of information to the Order, leaving them to debate it.