Ch.20: The Start of The Chunin Exams

Kakashi’s POV

As I was heading home together with Tsubame, I couldn’t help but glance at her from time to time. A question popped into my mind every time I took a quick glance at her.

How was she able to completely erase her presence from us and even the Hokage himself?

“Tsubame,” I began. “Hm? What is it Kakashi-kun?” She asked.

“How were you able to hide your presence from us? To be able to have done that, I would say that you are stronger than what you are saying.” I said and she tensed a bit but tried to hide it with a fake smile.

“It’s just a stroke of luck that I was able to hide my presence from you guys. I was just thinking hard about not being found out, that’s all.” She said with a shrug but somehow I could tell it was a lie.

“Alright,” I said and she knew that I didn’t buy her lie at all.

“We’re here!” She suddenly said and I stopped to look at the building. We entered the apartment complex and went up the stairs until we reached the certain floor.

“I’ll just prepare dinner!” She shouted before entering her apartment room and I entered mine.     

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I was busy reading my favorite book when I heard a knock on my door. I opened it to find Tsubame carrying a steaming pot in her hands. I took it from her and placed it on top of the dining table. “Thanks Kakashi,” she said as she entered the room.

I gave a slight smile in return and sat down at once. She didn’t hesitate either to sit down at once. We started eating like usual but the only difference was that it was in silence. I decided to break the silence by asking her directly.

Tsubame suddenly spurted out the water that she was drinking to the side. She coughed a bit and then proceeded to wipe her mouth gently with a cloth and avoided looking at my eyes. “Kakashi,” she sighs. “The truth is -” 

She suddenly stopped looking away and shook her head. “- I’m sorry Kakashi…I can’t tell you yet. I have thought soon would be the right time but right now, it is too soon.”

Her face was helpless, like she truly wanted to tell me but she couldn’t. I sighed deeply, “I-I’ll leave here for now but sooner or later you’ll have to tell me.”

She beamed and hugged me. I patted her back and she let go of me. We continued eating like nothing had happened before.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Tsubame’s POV

Three hours later than the said time, Kakashi and I arrived. I appeared sitting down on the railings of the bridge while Kakashi appeared on top of the torii. “Yo!” We both waved and greeted at the same time.

“Today I got lost on the road of life,” Kakashi gave a lame excuse. “YEAH RIGHT!!! LIAR!!!” Naruto and Sakura shouted at Kakashi at the same time.

“Anyway,” Kakashi began and he was now in front of us. “This is sudden but I’ve nominated you guys for the Chunin Selection Exam.”

The three of them had different reactions to what Kakashi said to them before processing the information. Sakura said a ‘huh?’ Naruto was silent and Sasuke had a surprised face.

“What did you say!?!” Sakura exclaimed at the same time as Naruto shouted, “You think that makes up for…!” but Kakashi cut them off. “Here are your applications,” he said as he handed it to us.