Ch.28: Tsubame's Battle

Tsubame's POV

We left Sasuke in a hospital bed for medical treatment (though I managed to heal most of his wounds) with ANBU protection. We both said goodbye and headed to the area where the preliminary rounds were being held.

"Yo!" I greeted just at the same time as Kakashi greeted them with a 'hey'. "Kakashi-sensei!!!" Both Naruto and Sakura exclaimed.

"What do you mean 'hey"?!! Kakashi-sensei, how's Sasuke?!! Is he alright?!!" Sakura quickly asked.

"Well, he's fine, sleeping in a hospital bed," Kakashi replied. Sakura sighed in relief while Naruto suddenly noticed something.

On the screen showed...

TSURUGI MISUMI VS. KANKURO

I watched as the guy with a kitty-eared hat easily beat the Sound genin with his puppet. Hayate announced that Kankuro won the battle. Naruto thought Kankuro was cheating but Sakura explained that it's just a puppet and it was the same thing as using any other kind of weapon.

Naruto began to comment that there were a bunch of weirdos here, Sakura chuckled but Kakashi told her it was no time to be laughing. He pointed towards the screen and there it was written...

HARUNO SAKURA VS. YAMANAKA INO

Both Sakura and Ino's eyes widened andthey went down to the arena. They started insulting each other but soon they both smiled. An all out battle, I could hear Ino think. They both tied their forehead protectors over their foreheads and began to battle.

Sakura moved first, implementing the lesson Kakashi taught us back during the B-rank mission we didn't know we received until later on. She managed to land a punch on Ino's cheek first that sent Ino flying.

As they fought, I could feel their intense rivalry, just like how Naruto is with Sasuke. They were pretty even with each other and everyone else knew that one of them was sooner or later going to collapse.

What surprised me most was that in the end, it resulted into a tie thus both of them being disqualified in the preliminary rounds. The next one was Temari VS. Tenten and Temari won. Battle after battle, match after match, so many happened until I saw my name displayed on the board.

HAYASHI TSUBAME VS. IWASAKI MAIKO

A young girl with long brown hair tied with two blue ribbons and had dark blue eyes appeared in the arena. She was wearing an interesting pendant that looked somewhat familiar. She also had a sword at her side. Her forhead protector symbol was from that of the Sound.

I could sense that she was not be trifled with and I calmly jumped down from the viewing area and into the arena. I could feel her eyes boring a hole through my back. I turned around and Hayate started the battle.

She immediately jumped above and threw kunai at me, I dodged it swiftly and threw some kunai in return which she dodged just as easily. We both drew our swords and ran towards each other, our swords clashed and then I felt that familiar presence from her.

"Wissen Sie, meine Schwester?" (Do you know my sister?) I asked in the language only fox spirits would know.

She smirked, "Natürlich tue ich das!" (Of course I do!)

I did a stance in which my katana faced her direction while my body was bent down a bit. I summoned chakra to my feet and released it just at the right time so I could propell myself forward towards her.

In no time I was in front of her, ready to stab her but she quickly disappeared and moved behind my back. I was slashed and blood gushed out from my back. My knees collapsed and I fell to the ground. I started panting.

"Sie auch erwähnt was ein Weichling Sie sind!" (She also mentioned what a weakling you are!) She said with a grin. Her words were supposed to make me angry, to hate her and attack without thinking but it didn't affect me in any way.

I gripped my katana and stood up, pretending that my legs were shaking in fear. I stared at her without any emotions. My face was entirely apathetic.

I stood perfectly still as she began attacking me with all her strength. Blood gushed out from every slash mark she made but I remained unmoving. She started to slow down, her breath heavy.

"Why aren't you dead yet?!" She yelled at me.

I didn't answer and waited as she got her second wind and began attacking me again. This time I decided to evade her attacks. "Shigure Soen Ryu, The Fourth Defensive Form: Gofuu Juuu," I muttered under my breath.

My breath began to sync with hers as she attacked me. Every thrust, I evaded. Every slash, I evaded. She was tiring down now and it was time to attack her.

I dropped down my katana and at the last minute kicked the base of the hilt and sent it flying to her. "Shigure Soen Ryu, The Third Offensive Form: Yarazu no Ame," I said just at the same time as I did the technique.

It stabbed her through her arm and sent her flying to the wall. She tried to remove it but it was like a nail, it couldn't be removed not unless properly done so. I stalked towards her as I did the handsign of the Tiger.

"Suiton: Kirigakure no Jutsu," I said and mist began to envelop the arena. Blood dripped down from my whole body and I body flickered in front of her. She looked scared.

"How are you able to defeat me?! My master said that I was stronger than you?!" She demanded.

I took out a kunai, stabbing her other arm. She groaned in pain. "She was lying to you, my power and abilities are far stronger than you think." I said.

I summoned my fox fire, temporarily revealing my yokai form. It surrounded her and changed into the shape of a huge ball. She was inside it and I could hear her screams as I motioned my hand into a fist.

Her body was now charred to ash.

I didn't let her live because she was working with my sister. Her aura was evil just like hers and if I was merciful, revenge would be ensued.

The mist started to clear up and I didn't want anyone to see that I burnt her body so I quickly made a clay model of her. It was her body slashed and bruised but it was actually just a body made of clay. When I felt that the time was right, I would release it.

The mist was gone now and there I stood, looking up to my team.

Kakashi's POV

We began to get worried when we saw Tsubame standing still as she took all those attacks. We thought that she might lose soon but the tables were turned when she began to fight back.

I was surprised as I watched as she fought with her katana. It was like watching a blue swallow dance around as it flew. Her techniques were precise and accurate. I was even more surprised when I saw her use the same jutsu that Zabuza used against us.

Screams were heard and I thought for a minute that it was Tsubame but soon sighed in relief once I saw her still standing while the enemy was on the ground. Hayate soon announced Tsubame as the winner and she jumped up towards us.

She was gripping her body tightly. I just suddenly remembered that she was badly wounded so I decided to carry her and headed to the hospital.

As I walked, she leaned into me and muttered a 'thank you'. I blushed slightly and placed her on one of the empty beds. Medic nin immediately surrounded her in order to check her wounds. Her torn kimono was removed and I got out of the room at once.

I decided to head back to the preliminary round area and thought of Tsubame at the same time.

She's strong, higher than a Chunin I would say. Why did she hide it?" I thought.