Chapter 14 - Walking Dead!

It was a rainy day in Cardiff, when events sent earth into a state of panic. These events had to be controlled. The Doctor and I were walking back from a walk in the park, we were walking towards the rift when my Vortex manipulator started buzzing. The Doctor looked concerned
"Evie, what is wrong!"
"We are needed in London" the Doctor held my hand and I pressed a button on my Vortex manipulator (a cheap and nasty way to time travel without a TARDIS).

We landed just outside Cambridge but something was wrong, the streetlamps on during the day which was strange but that was only one thing, there were several other things firstly the lights were flickering and then they just blew altogether. This only occurs when there is a high intake of voltage.
"Doctor something is wrong, the lights are flickering and blowing which indicates high voltage!" I started to investigate the nearest shop, I went inside and nothing seemed out of the ordinary until I went into the kitchen, the oven was making a loud buzzing noise and electricity was flickering out. Something was causing this to happen but what!
"Doctor, I need you in here for something" he came running in with screwdriver in hand.
"Umm strange Evie, that should not be happening. Something is interfering the electrical supply!"
"We'll have to find out later as we are needed at torchwood London!"
Torchwood headquarters not far from where we were, so we got onto a bus and headed straight there, it only took us 10 minutes to reach our destination. When we arrived the security guard greeted us.
"Agent Harkness-Jones and the Doctor, am I so glad to see you! Please follow me to the control room" the security guard led us down several corridors and then took control room. Once inside, security guard left leaving us in the room with no clue as to what was going on. Then the head of torchwood came out of the room on my left, he was tall with short brown hair, green eyes and a suit.
"Agent Harkness-Jones and Doctor, I need your help on a pandemic!"
"What seems to be the problem Sir"
"people are being affected from a water source near Cambridge, they have no physical signs of being affected but......" At this point he led us over to the computer screen and on that screen there was grainy pictures of people walking around like zombies.
"Sir, have you checked their brain activity?"
"We did and it was surprising!"
"What do you mean!"
"Well, their brains are still functioning normally but there are walking with a blank look to their faces"
"this is strange as I think I know what is happening. Have you noticed anything else after the ordinary?"
"Not that I am aware of"
"well, I noticed something strange in Cambridge when we arrived. The lights were on in daytime but they were flickering several blew. However that is not it! I went into the Bakers in the kitchen and the other was making a loud buzzing noise and electricity was flickering out from"
"Ummm strange! You and the Doctor should go and investigate it some more!" Something about him did not quite fit!
"Sir, have you been to Cambridge recently?"
"Yes I live there"
"did you at any point drink the water?"
"Yes"
"Sir you have already been infected with cybernats. I recommend you quarantine yourself in your office!"
"Cyber what"
"cybernats"

All of this did not add up, why would the cyber men want to infect the water supply. Maybe this was not them at all but the making of something different. Who knows! The Doctor and I headed back to Cambridge to investigate the events further. People were out but a lot of them look like the walking dead! Then it clicked, they were vessels for the cyber men to convert them. They needed the brain activity to survive because that's what makes them function and we were in trouble. Big trouble!
"Doctor, I just worked it out!"
"What"
"why these are walking around like the walking dead. They are vessels for something much bigger. That can only mean one thing, the cyber men". The Doctor and I looked at each other and the horror of what is to come dawned on us. If we were to defeat these aliens, we needed a team, so that was when I rang my dad up asking for help.
"Dad, I need your help. We have an invasion of cyber men but I have no idea of their intentions. Can you go to the weapons room and retrieve 4 cyber guns, 4 hand pulsars please?"
"Ok Evie, Ianto and I should be with you soon" With that dad hung up and all I had to do was to wait! After what seemed like ages, there was a bright blue light, dad and pa appeared with the equipment I asked for.
"Ready Evie" It was Ianto who spoke.
"As I will ever be facing these things" We loaded the guns and headed towards the bakers.
"Dad the energy supply is extremely high, so be careful!"
"I will!" We all headed in expecting to see a malfunctioning oven but when we arrived a young man was in the way but what was strange was the cyborg implants on the right side of his face. The invasion has started! Report were coming through on my vortex manipulator of infected water supplies all over the world. Paris, Rome, Russia and America was already hit.
"Evie. Run!" The Doctor grabbed my hand and we both ran out of the door only to be met by more people with cyborg implants. We were surrounded and I did not know what to do other than to speak, to reason with them!
"Am I addressing the leader of the cyber men?
A man in his mid-forties spoke.
"Yes"
"Taking the planet by force, is more your style isn't it rather than infecting the water supply with cybernats. One invasion was not enough for you, converting the parallel world and then taking canary wharf was not enough for you was it!"
"No it was not, I wanted more. I wanted to convert the population of Earth, so I can conquer the universe and then I would be unstoppable!"
"Have you even learnt from your past mistakes?"
"Yes and we have a plan!"
"What would that be then!"
"To convert your parents, the Doctor and then the whole planet" So this was their intention mass conversion starting with my parents, the Doctor and then Cambridge. This was just the start of the mass panic! A cyber ship has landed only minutes before and a cyber man brought out a conversion chamber. I had to think fast before the whole planet is converted into emotionless machines! Then it came to me!
"Rather than convert them, convert me. I have vast knowledge. I can imagine this they can't!" The cyber leader thought about this for a few minutes before releasing my parents and my boyfriend. The Doctor looked like he was about to cry that's when I winked at him, so he knew I was up to something.
"Put her into the chamber!" I did not struggle. I was restrained and placed into the chamber. The machine was turned on and I felt all my emotions being ripped from my soul, it hurt like had but I had something up my sleeve, literally! A hand pulsar, I brought it up to my face and short circuited all the systems giving me time to use the code. They blew up everywhere giving myself, the Doctor and my parents time to escape. I headed to Torchwood to check up on Mark (head of Torchwood), he was ok. Everyone who had drunk the water and returned to normal and when our job in London was complete we headed back to Cardiff for a well-earned rest from all the adventure. Don't get me wrong I love this life but I wish the aliens would give us a break!