Chapter 16 - My 29th Birthday

Today is my 29th Birthday! Happy Birthday to me! It was also a day I won't forget in a hurry. I got up and did my normal routine, have a shower, get dressed and go down stairs to eat breakfast with my parents. I normally get to work before my parents so I can check up on any rift activity and check the cells, for any aliens that the night team have caught the night before. I head to the hub, open the cog doors and everything seemed very quiet which was a bit odd in the first place but I guess the night shift had gone home which is the norm for me!

I check the security cameras to the cells and see several weevils and a puffer fish in cells 1-5 but there was something strange about cell number 6, normally there is an alien in there but today there wasn't, the door was open and a note attached to it. I headed down to the cells to see what the problem was, I reached cell 6 and a note was attached to the door, I peeled it off and read it: 'Evie, meet me by Mac Carley's at noon today. Love the Doctor'. I glanced inside the cell and confetti was scattered all over the floor, the confetti lead out of the cell, along the corridor and up to the hub. What was going on? I had no idea. I followed the trail and it lead me to the main area of the hub, Jack, Ianto, Gwen and Rhys were stood under a banner which said 'Happy 29TH Birthday Evie'. Jack came forward with a parcel wrapped up in blue wrapping paper.
"Evie, happy birthday sweetie, this is from Yan and I. I hope you like it."
"Thanks Dad" I took the parcel from his hands and ripped the paper off. I open the box and inside were several other boxes wrapped neatly in the same blue paper. I opened each present carefully until there was only one. From my parents I received several tops and jeans, a pair of shoes, a bracelet with the Torchwood logo on it and a brand new phone. My old one got blow up when the cyber men invaded! From Gwen and Rhys I got more clothes and a necklace with my name on it and from Owen I received a new laptop. Which only left the Doctor to give me his, I wondered what was so important to miss his girlfriend's birthday!

12 Noon

After a busy morning cataloging the weevils the night before, I was glad to escape and meet the Doctor.

When I arrived at Mac Carley's, the Doctor was standing outside holding a bouquet of wild roses, he came up to me and gave me the flowers but also kissed me passionately.
"I didn't think you would come"
"Of course I would. I was glad to get out of the hub though, it is madness in there with the cataloging of weevils from the night before"
"I wanted to meet you here but we are not staying here, I am taking you for lunch across the road"
"In the American Dinner!"
"Yes, is there a problem"
"No, I have always wanted to try that place"
"Ok that is fine then. Let's go!"
The Doctor took my hand and he led me across the road to the dinner, where we went in and found a seat by the window. We ordered food and waited for it to come. The Doctor looked as though he had something on his mind.
"Doctor are you Ok, you seem distant today"
"No, I am fine, I was just admiring your beauty that was all" At this I blushed a bright red and hid my face in my hands. A few minutes later our meals came and when we finish it, the Doctor took my hand once more and led me to a park. It was a Victorian park, it had a place for peace and quiet, a play area and other amities such as a golf course. After walking a while the Doctor stopped and sat down on a beach close by, I followed and sat with him.
"Doctor what is wrong, you seem nervous about something!"
"No I am fine!" I was not convinced but we both sat there in silence until the Doctor turned to me.
"Evie, I wanted today to be special for you as it is your birthday but for something else. When we first met, you were full of courage and still are, you are not afraid of a fight. You have battled your demons as well as aliens. You have shown that you are not scared of anything and that is what I admire about you. I have love you since the first moment you pulled me by the arm to tell River that I was here. I never thought I could move on after Rivers death but you have shown me that I can love some else. I have tried to find the right moment to ask you a very important question which would change yours and mine lives for the better. But first close your eyes!"
I closed my eyes and felt something square and soft be put in my hands by the Doctor. I was puzzled as to what it was.
"You can open your eyes!" I opened them to see a velvet box in my hand and the Doctor with a huge grin on his face. Oh no what is he up to !
"Open the box!"
Inside the box was a ring with sapphires and rubies set into a gold band.
"Evie will you do me the great honour and marry this timelord. Will you become Mrs Smith?"
I was so shocked at his proposal, I was speechless and gawping like a fish. I was happy and excited but shocked as well. After a few minutes I was able to talk.
"Doctor it would be my honour of marrying you!"
He slipped the ring n my finger and spun me around and kissed me at the same time.

I was complete and that was all that mattered to me!