Chapter 1

Ashton
Age 11

I sighed and stomped my foot, walking to my room. I hated bedtimes.

I went to my bedroom (which I shared with my younger brother). When you entered my bedroom the first thing you would see was a window.

I lived on the 3rd floor of an apartment building in Sydney, Australia with my mum and my 2 siblings (my douche bag of a father left a few years ago).

But as I entered the room, something caught my eye. I saw a flash of gold from the corner of my vision. I looked at the window from where I was standing in shock. I was frozen in place, still standing in the doorway.

There was a man with blonde hair (this confused me later as I researched them, as they were known to usually have dark hair) floating outside my window.

"Ashton?" My little brother asked and looked at my face, then to where I was looking. I knew my brother saw him as well from the terrified look on his face.

The man placed his hands on the outside of the window and he had a strange fanged smile on his face. I couldn't look away from his eyes.

His eyes entranced me, they were all black, no white whatsoever. I heard his voice say clearly in my head, "Let me in," over and over again. My brother and I just stared.

Should I let him in?

Yes Ashton...just let me in

I looked to my brother, he had a horrified look and he shook his head at me.

I won't hurt you...just let me in, Ashton

"How do you know my name?" I asked and my brother made a dissatisfied noise.

"Don't talk to it Ashton!" my brother practically cries.

I've been looking for you, Ashton...just let me in so I can talk to you

"Who are you?" I asked and took a step forward, his eyes followed the movement and his smile widened.

If you let me in, I can explain everything

I slowly started to walk forward and his eyes never left me They sharply followed every movement I made, every twitch of my body.

I was a few feet away from the window when-

"Ashton! What are you doing? Get to bed," my mum said, coming into the bedroom.

Both me and my brother turned to look at her. She gave us a confused expression.

"What's wrong? You look like you've seen a ghost." I turned back to the window to see that there was no one there.

"There was a monster!" Harry shouted and threw the blankets over his head.

She gave me a look, asking me with her eyes what he meant.

"There was a spider." I quickly said. Why? I have no idea.

She nodded and kissed my head, then walked over to Harry and did the same. "Get to bed," She said and I nodded, glancing at the window one last time before climbing into my bed that was across from Harry's.

"Why didn't you tell her?" Harry asked and I rolled over to face him.

"Tell her what?" I ask and he frowns.

"About the scary man at the window." He whispers and I shake my head.

"Harry, there was nothing there."

He doesn't seem to believe me and I don't blame him. Why I lied? I have no idea. Why I spent almost half the night convincing Harry that there was nothing there? Again, I have no idea.

But when I could hear Harry's breathing become even, I stared at the window and for some reason, wished the man would appear once again.

Why wasn't I terrified of the man like my brother was? He seemed to want me, which should've made me scared out of my mind.

But instead all I felt was relief and this weird sort of calm wash over me.

All I know is that, I, for some reason, felt the need to keep that man a secret. Keep him to myself.