10|| Pawn to C5

10|| Pawn to C5

Sure, Hermione Granger was never much a Quidditch fan, being highly untalented on a broom, but she always enjoyed watching Harry and Ron play during the school year. Perhaps it was the roaring Gryffindor crowds or the fierce competition with the other Houses, but Hermione feels warmed at the prospect of attending a game, even if it is simply Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff playing.

She almost forgets her intended company on that Saturday morning, shoving her green turtleneck over her head and hiding her Time-Turner, finally twisting on her black skirt. Finishing with her school sweater and a hair tie for a ponytail, Hermione pays little mind to her appearance before rushing out of her room, then dormitory as the time arrives for the game.

It is a chilly day, Hermione finds, as she moves towards the Quidditch pitch of massive towers and cheering crowds. And though she has to hold her sweater tighter to her form, a blushing smile paints her cheeks in a rare look, genuine happiness of a Gryffindor ringing out for all to see. It only widens as her eyes catch upon the white-blonde hair of Clarence Nevarse, the girl talking animatedly to Tom Riddle who is obviously ignoring her with a look of seriousness.

Eyes hypervigilant as ever, Clary spots the brown-eyed heroine nearby, swivelling to face her with a beaming smile that reduces the strains of evil coming from Riddle. "Hermione! When Tom told me you would be watching with us, I was thrilled! We will have so much fun!"

"I am very excited as well, Clary," Hermione responds lightly and with an uplifted smile, the scenery, event, and company adding up to some happiness. Hermione is choosing to forget her other company at the moment, not a hard task given her past quarrels with Ronald Weasley.

"Let's go!" Clary commands happily, pulling Hermione along by the hand and upward on the pitch. The two females move quickly, nearly running, though are unable to lose Riddle in his quick and confident strides behind them, keeping up easily.

They take a position at the top of the Ravenclaw stands, able to see the entirety of the student populace within a single revolution of their eyes. Clary stands to her left with overwhelming enthusiasm, a quick juxtaposition to Hermione's right partner, Tom, who's scowling at this waste of time. For a man with such cunning, you'd think Tom Riddle to be able to hide his utter distaste for Quidditch.

"Have you ever played, Tom?" Hermione attempts friendliness, turning to him and away from Hermione's true friend as a whistle sounds and the game begins.

"It never interested me," the Dark Lord simply remarks, watching the crowds with keen eyes rather than the excited Quidditch game overhead.

"That, and he's not very good at it," Clarence remarks, tempting Hermione to laugh loudly, though she reserves herself to a small smirk. And, of course, Clary means her words in the most innocent and non-malicious of ways, but Tom Riddle glares around Hermione to the Head Girl, looking as murderous and red-eyed as ever.

"Well," Hermione cuts in, attempting to diffuse the situation before she's dodging the Cruciatus, "there's no question that I am the worst of us three. It's a struggle to even get on a broom."

Clarence's light laughter filters into Hermione's ears, unending at the sheer prospect of the Granger girl being horrible at anything. As far as Clary knows, Hermione's never failed in a task she's set out to do. So, it is obvious Hermione holds no interest in the sport, much like the Tom Riddle who stands next to the girl.

"Somehow, I can't see that," Tom Riddle says, prompting Hermione to gaze at him in her peripheral vision. She is surprised to see a smirk on his face, taking humor in her words and successfully shifting his focus from Clary. It's a small victory for Hermione, and yet, it is her first.