46|| Rook to G8

46|| Rook to G8

The three friends and one ally take off into the hills around midday, in pursuit of the Lovegood home at the bidding of Hermione, voting of Ron, and acceptance of Harry. And though it is peaceful with nothing but slight conversation, the trek is long. It seems like the landscape of hills and grass is never ending, an endless loop if not for the falling sun with each hour. And though it is particularly irritating for Tom, he is grateful for the lack of snow in the already cold climate, a gift from Merlin if nothing else.

Ron leads their unlikely pack across the lands, far enough away that the others would need to shout in order for Ron to hear. Hermione and Harry are next, a long way back, walking side-by-side like the good friends they are. Behind them, Tom wanders with his long strides, acting ignorant to the beauty of the place, almost like the other three. There are more important things to worry about. But all the same, he finds himself constantly looking over Hermione for more than just protective reasons. The way her eyelashes flutter in the morning glow, the way her pink lips part and fall in conversation with Harry, the way her bushy hair blows back in the slight breeze--it is all too much for him to ignore and certainly intoxicating. Merlin, she's radiant.

The non-varying landscape is only parted by Ron, this figure being the center to Harry's attention as they continue onward

The non-varying landscape is only parted by Ron, this figure being the center to Harry's attention as they continue onward. Commonly, the red-haired boy sends a gaze back to reassure that the other two-thirds of the Golden Trio are still following, Hermione avidly avoiding that gaze. And though it's plainly obvious that this is the case, Harry cannot help asking, "Not still mad at him, are you?"

Hermione watches Ron with a hardened gaze, never once noticing how Tom's watching her, probably for the better. "I'm always mad at him," Hermione grounds out the truth of their relationship, and yet, she does not expect the response she receives.

All three witness are surprised as Tom's laugh rings out over the hills, unrealistically loud in Hermione's ears as all of them turn to look at this uncharacteristic display of Tom Riddle. Gathering herself from swooning, Hermione scowls at Tom for the cause of this display, whereas Ron looks skeptical and Harry seems simply floundered. It seems like the dark boy's capable of laughing...what a fluke.

"You're no different," Hermione growls to the boy, stopping so as to split the distance between Harry and Tom, her body turned towards the latter.

Out of arm's reach, Tom simply grins at Hermione, having expected the response. It is strange to see his teeth showing in a taunting, yet genuine grin, none the more potently than for Harry.

"I expected nothing else, darling," Tom responds, voice elevated and watching with joy as Hermione's cheeks flare and mouth momentarily parts. But then she stomps away in chase of her composure, past a fuming Ron, now close enough to have heard Tom's words. But of course, Tom knew that.