48|| Pawn to G5

48|| Pawn to G5

If Hermione thought Tom was angry when she told him the truth back in 1945, then the current Tom Riddle was furious. After apparating away from the exploding Lovegood household--via the Erumpent horn Hermione rightly feared--the Golden Trio-plus-one find themselves at a riverbank in another dark looking forest, like all forests in Britain, it would seem. It is dark around them, with the moon yet to paint the sky in a ghostly flow but the sun hidden behind the horizon in what appears to be the twilight reign. And yet, with the sudden lack of light, Tom Riddle's anger is visible and palpable as the four roll to their feet.

"That treacherous old bleeder!" Tom rages in what ought to be Ron's own expression. With his dark brows drawn downward in an intimidating tilt and the alabaster skin setting the contrast alight, Hermione expects that anyone would be fearful under that gaze. But it is not just that, with twigs lighting themselves on fire at the rampant sparking of Tom's rage, Harry gently tapping them out with the sole of his shoes, not needing a forest fire at that moment. Despite Hermione's slight discomfort, only Ron and Harry feel fear at this raging sight of the previous Dark Lord.

But it's comparable to that of Ron, his anger being fueled by both anger and fear for those around, exclaiming the righteous question, "Is there no one we can trust?!"

Honestly, Hermione is as angry as Ron and Tom are, but she has more reason to hide this, given their lack of self control at times. She's meant to be the reasonable one, and yet, Hermione cannot quite reason why Harry is so calm, and perhaps, forlorn.

"They've kidnapped Luna because he supported me. He was just desperate," Harry tries to explain in that Gryffindor characteristic of empathy, and one Harry really ought to know with all he's undertaken. And yet, the other three cannot help feeling that Xenophilius Lovegood was not all that logical in his plotting. If he had told the four of Luna's situation, Harry would've gone to retrieve her, without a doubt. It only goes to show how much wiser the four teenagers are now that they've gone through these struggles.

More than the other two--Tom having quickly calmed at the sight of his fires--Ron feels the fury of betrayal within his skin and bones. Saying nothing, yet spitting onto the wet ground, the boy expresses his distaste with the male Lovegood and clears his mouth of ash at the same time.

Meanwhile, Tom finds himself confounded in his gaze upon Harry. How is it possible to accept and understand the traitorous actions of others against him? Surely, if it was Tom who was betrayed, he would've hit Lovegood with a Killing Curse rather than a Stupefy, but Tom felt it was not right to do such given the situation. His irritation is only appeased by the possibility that Lovegood was killed when thrown through that window. He doubts it, but he can still hope.

The trees are quiet around them, an unnatural occurrence that sets Tom on edge as soon as he notices. It's more than just that darkness that gives the surroundings an eerie glow, but the entire lack of sound coming from nature. No shuffling of twigs, swooshing of leaves, crunching of animals, or howling of winds. It's like a Silencio has been placed around them.

"I'll do the enchantments," Ron mutters, and it is then that Tom sees them.

Raising his wand with the intention of fulfilling his duty, Ron is halted by the suddenly risen hand of Hermione Granger, her own body frozen in place. Tom is the same--as are the other two--as breaths are caught and eyes rise to the Snatchers above. It's understandable why they did not see them in the first place, given their camouflage in the trees, and it is an easy agreement that they were only seen given how observant Tom and Hermione are.