59|| Queen to B3

59|| Queen to B3

It's a ghost of the past even without Hermione present, a reminder of her arrival in the 1940s, the streets of Hogsmeade basked in the darkness of Voldemort like they once had been with Grindelwald.  And yet, Grindelwald's face would be especially stark in comparison to the pictured Harry as 'Undesirable Number One' like Grindelwald had been for many years prior.  And though the pictures are shadowed by the night, the glow of the lively Three Broomsticks paints them all the same, through mist and fog of eery darkness and past the begotten light of Honeydukes.

Like the spark to light the wick into a chaotic flame, the Apparition of the enlightened quartet sets off a string of misgivings, accidents, and returns.  With their crack comes the screaming of magical sirens, a sign of their arrival with no doubts paid towards a differing option.  Taking just one look to their intended--though now disturbed--destination, Tom gazes upon the gathering Death Eater crowds against the Three Broomsticks' window, arm grabbed by Hermione and pulled away.

They bolt through the alleys and darkened streets, between occasional lights while feet pound the pavement behind their forms.  Honeydukes becomes a more familiar figure in their eyes with each step forward, but a more reassuring notion of damnation as the enemy gains on them quickly, steps being longer for peculiar reasons.

"There!  Right there!" a Death Eater randomly latches into their sight, receiving the wide eyes of Hermione Granger before vanishing into the fog, hopefully to flee and hide in a cruel game of hide-and-go-seek.  Tom takes up the back of the group as Harry leads, twisting them into corners and alleys and everything in between if only to flee the darkness and gain entrance to some bout of hope.  His eyes warily watch the surroundings, in search for the enemies that seem to linger in every alcove, the fog being a great defense, but also hiding the wily ways of Death Eaters.

"I've got them!" a Death Eater calls loudly from above their heads, the alert eyes of Tom Riddle quickly finding him, "Down--!"  Not a moment too soon and without a bit of concern, a spell hits the Death Eater in the chest and sends him reeling away from their eyesight.  If any of the others disagree with Tom's judgement, they do not say, continuing along with even fiercer conviction to survive this long night.

Latching onto each other, the four tuck into a small notch in a wall, lungs heaving through exerted yet hindered breath.  Hermione's once dull eyes look particularly bright in her perception of the world, and her tongue especially wispy as she says, "They were ready for us."

As much as Harry had learned of Voldemort, Voldemort must have learned of Harry through the stint of mirrored Legilimency.  It is clear that the Dark Lord knew Harry would be arriving at Hogwarts, and consequently increased the security in the nearest village of Hogsmeade.  Tom expected as many Death Eaters, but the sirens were a sure shock to the whole matter.  Truly, he did not know that type of spell existed.

Their alcove may be shadowed, but it is not dark enough to repel the sudden light that shines from behind the fog, an arrival of a Death Eater even before they speak.  "We know you're here, Potter.  There's no getting away."

Tom doubts the validity of that prospect, seeing as Harry Potter has a history of escaping harm relatively easily and on a normal basis.  And given the tools they still possess--Harry thinking on the same point--the Boy Who Lived pulls the mirror shard from his pocket, wishing for another miracle as it casts across his face and onto the alley in which they are surrounded.  And in the minute moment of angled vision, Tom sees the Death Eater's figure finally appear from the burrows of the mist, a place Tom figures the man enjoys.

"Perhaps you need some convincing," the man's voice snarls through the brick walls of the alley, almost snickering in a malicious glee, potent to Tom's ears when he's heard it so often.