23|| Bishop to E2

23|| Bishop to E2

The surprising duo of darkness and light, both adorned in Slytherin attire, arrive at Hogsmeade in due haste, not needing to hurry but in consequence of Tom's natural quickness in walking. At the speed they travel, Hermione is almost panting as they arrive at the first shops, barely keeping to his pace and prompting a smirk to rise on his cheeks. Hermione is truly starting to regret befriending the Dark Lord, not just for the obvious reasons. With the increasing connection comes the revelation of their true characters and loss of Tom's gentleman charm.

"How long do you need?" the boy asks, turning to her with his hands clasped behind his back and posture straightened at the public scene.

"I will not be more than an hour," Hermione responds, more like prays, as she's never been especially keen on clothes shopping. Sure, she appreciates looking nice and drawing people's awe, but Hermione never quite enjoyed the work and money to construct such an effect.

"We'll meet back here at four-thirty, then."

"Alright."

Tom wanders off with renewed purpose, leaving Hermione to stare after him for seconds before finally turning into the shop behind her. The shopkeeper seems to remember her from before, though she smiles brighter than during the original visit for a reason Hermione accounts to be recognition. And it goes much like the previous visit with the woman's questioning of Hermione's wishes and the keeper's magical collection of clothes, all tested on the reluctant form of Hermione Granger.

It does turn out to be a near hour visit when Hermione exits the store given the tough selection of clothing and argument with the woman. Finally deciding on a nude dress with an upper-layer of red lace that just barely curls over her shoulders with a scalloped edge, the dress loosely falling to her knees, Hermione entered a battle of her own wit. Apparently, the shopkeeper had seen her and Tom enter Hogsmeade earlier, prompting the woman to assume they are together and then refusing to let Hermione pay. Something along the lines of 'I cannot accept your payment to look adorable with that handsome man' was spoken, and Hermione was left blushing. And in the end, likely due to the quote, Hermione ended up walking out of the store, bag-in-hand and with the same amount of money she entered with. It irritates her greatly, visible to Tom as he watches her approach.

Hermione shoves the agitation away, watching Tom with keen eyes and a slight blush given the woman's implications earlier. But then, her eyes trail to the multiplicity of bags in Tom's hands, far too many for his stated task. "How many quills did you buy?!"

"I bought some books as well," Tom remarks, humoured at her instance of nonsensical reasoning and finding her surprise all the more charming. "I think you'll enjoy them."

Hermione gapes at him, thoroughly shocked and awed at the prospect of Tom caring enough to buy books and intending to share them. She knows it is not a gift, but a mere side-note to his offer, and yet Hermione cannot help muttering a quick, "Thank you."

"Do not thank me. I bought them for us to share. I am not giving them to you." And there's the Tom Riddle she knows so well. Perhaps it is this reentrance that has Hermione's smile flickering up as she looks to him, eyes exclaiming happiness before she shrugs it away, heading back to Hogwarts with Tom at her side.

At peace in the silence of one another and the school grounds, empty of students, Hermione releases a contented sigh, clutching the bag tighter in her hand, as if fearing its loss. They move towards the Entrance Hall, walking outdoors in sheer appreciation of the springtime feelings and sunshine. And it comes too quick, the large doors revealing themselves to the momentary travellers, Tom only then turning to Hermione with an intent look in his eye as they move towards the Slytherin Dungeons.