(AU) Those Eyes (pt.3)

"...can't you just stay here with me?"

"I'm sorry, I can't. I have to leave."

"Why? Do you want to leave me alone?"

"No, why would I want that? I want to be with you too, donkey."

"Then stay!"

"I'm sorry."

(Y/N)'s POV

As a piece of an old memory come pass through my head, I knitted my brows and sat back.

     "Mr. Nanase, have we met somewhere before?" I asked while holding my head, dizzy—because of the sudden flood of memory. "Why do you ask that?" He answered; his eyes sticking to the computer, expressionless. "You reminds me of someone I used to know in my childhood." I chuckled, trying to lighten the conversation. But instead, it only makes me feel awkward. "Oh, really?" He keep typing—not looking at me.

     Something's wrong.

TIME SKIP

During break, I decided to bought some snacks from a nearby convenient store and get back to work—it's almost deadline.

     I type and type, trying to remove an unpleasant feeling from the prior conversation with Mr. Nanase. I type until my consciousness fade away, little by little.

*****

"Where are you going?"

"My father got a big job to do."

"Is it far?"

"Yeah, he will be a swimming teacher."

"...good."

"What's wrong?"

"It's your father's job, right? Not yours?  Can't you just stay here with me?"

"I'm sorry, I can't. I have to leave."

"Why? Do you want to leave me alone?"

"No, why would I want that? I want to be with you too, donkey."

"Then stay!"

"I'm sorry."

*****

I open my eyes, panting heavily.

     What was that? It's like pieces of a memory, not just a dream. The boy in my dream has eyes like Mr. Nanase. No doubt. I have never seen someone with those eyes except him. Do I have to ask him about it? Or don't?

     "What's wrong, Ms. (l/n)?" A familiar voice said, standing behind me. I looked over from my shoulder and debating with myself; whether I should ask him or not. "I-I accidentally slept on my desk." I said with a light chuckle. If I asked him, I don't even have a voice for that. It just didn't come out. "You must be tired." He put something on my desk and walked towards his own desk.

      A bread and milk in a plastic bag looks very delicious when I'm so hungry like this. "Thank you," DId he bought this on purpose? "Yes." He answered , curtly. Even though most of his answer was curt, I could sense a little affection in it.

*****

The books were finished and became best-sellers, which is very relieving.

     Mr. Matsuoka decided to make a little drinking party for the translation department to celebrate. "Drinks on me!" He said. Mr. Nanase and I became the honor guests because of our succession. How I always dreamed of this.

     "(l/n)? You're not drinking?" Mr. Matsuoka approached me; his face tinged with red color while his breath smelt like alcohol. "I drank, not much. I don't want to wake up with a hangover tomorrow, sir." I laughed and drink a little bit more out of politeness. "Ah, good, good!" Mr. Matsuoka laughed and walked away with his wobbly steps. "Watch out, Mr. Matsuoka!" I shouted hesitantly before he stumbled upon someone's feet. "Oh, I'm sorry Sosuke! I stumbled upon your feet—!" Mr. Matsuoka punched Sosuke's—one of my colleagues, shoulder. "Don't get too drunk, Rin." Seems like they're closer than I thought. Probably, they were best friends?

     "Ah, Haruka! Why don't you go there, accompany (y/n)? Honor guests have to stick together, no?" Mr. Matsuoka looked back, his eyes meeting mine while grinning. Mr. Nanase helped him walk and sit him down a nearby chair while looking at me, smiling. I smiled back, remembering that his smile's rare to see.

     He walked towards me after sitting Mr. Matsuoka down. Thank goodness the chair besides me was empty. I pat the chair, gesturing him to sit beside me. "Don't drink too much." Curt, but with a little affection. "No, I also avoid that myself." I chuckled and take another sip; this time not out of politeness.

     "Never thought we could make it together." I said, out of blue, I know. "Huh?" Mr. Nanase knitted his brows together in a little confusion of his. "Well, when I was in the editorial department, there were some people who said that you're an Ice Sculpture." I chuckled while feeling a bit tipsy yet, still taking another sip. "I bumped into you, right? At first, I don't want to believe the Ice-Sculpture thing but, when I bumped into you, I realized that might be true."

     "I thought, working with you must be hard and lonely." He chuckled, as if saying 'yes'. "But, was I wrong." I lifted my head, only to meet his mesmerizing gaze. "You are so," I gulped down another drink to give me some courage. "fascinating." My voice was barely a whisper under my breath.

     "...come again?" He leaned closer with his ear facing me. "N-no, nothing." I placed my drinking glass on the table and shook my head, a bit too vigorous. "Okay."

     "You know," I tilted my head and smiled as I exhales deeply. "I always wanted to ask you about something."

     "And what is that?"

     "Are you the boy who left me? The one who saw cherry blossom trees with me?"

     Mr. Nanase averted his gaze and frowned.

     "Was I right?" I leaned closer and stare.

     "Yes, donkey."