Seconds Before Christmas

"Don't you notice how beautiful these Christmas ornaments are?" I said as we walked down the shopping district after buying some groceries.

     "Yeah," He nodded.

     How am I supposed to get him into a Christmas-spirit-mode? Just from the way he looks, he seemed to be not so excited for Christmas.

     "Whoa!" My eyes widen. "Just look at that gigantic Christmas tree!"

      The giant Christmas tree towered before us with its sparkling ornaments and some made-up gift boxes with red and green wrappings adorned with golden ribbons. Though Christmas starts just hours away, the Christmas tree already shimmering between lights from the shops.

     It's almost midnight and yet, people still seemed to be busy walking around the shopping district or even in the city, just because it's Christmas Eve. The almost-midnight date fits perfectly today, just as I expected. But it will be flawless if Haru have more Christmas spirit.

     "What a waste if we just pass it by," I hinted, hoping he will notice my eagerness.

     He sighed, "Do you want me to take a picture of you in front of this tree?" His lips formed  gentle smile as he type the password of his phone.

     I smiled, feeling content. "Don't you think I will be lonely if it's only me inside the picture?" I joked, feeling playful and content in the same time.

     "Please don't drag me into this." He chuckled lightly; just under his breath.

     "Come on! We should make some beautiful memories of Christmas, especially after last year's dinner event with my family!*" I walked away from the tree and pulled his coat's sleeve.

     He looked down in a moment of silence before answered, "I-I guess we should." The second he looked up, faint color of pink spread across his cheekbones.

      We asked a random passerby to take our pictures; we took few, which is very delighting.

     "Nanase Haruka," I started, eyes sticking to the phone screen. "why did you hide a half of your face using your scarf in all pictures?!"

      We took about five pictures and Haru hid the half part of his face using his blue-colored scarf. And plus, he didn't even try to smile.

     Haru walked faster instead of answering my prior question. His speed was too much—I can't seem to walk beside him if he continues. "Haru, wait for me!"

      The moment I finally caught up to him and walked beside him, I can see his reddening ear. "Sorry," He muttered. "I was very happy when we took those pictures together, so—"

       "Aw," My cheeks reddened. "thank you."

      He looked away when his hand met mine. He intertwined his fingers and I can feel the heat from his hand that beneath his glove emanated.

      "Where do you want to go next?" He offered, looking a little downwards to meet my eyes.

     "I don't know," I answered. "you pick."

*****

Haru decided to take us to the main street when the lights shinning brightly until the stars can't be seen when we usually can see them.

      As expected, the main street also adorned with Christmas ornaments and people. Lots of people still even working on a night this beautiful to waste. I looked up at him only to meet his eyes before they skittered away in embarrassment.