prologue

My little beauty Arabella... Hope you love her as much or more than me.

May 1890,

Nalia looked up as their carriage turned the corner and headed up the hill towards Havcrove Manor. Her hand 4if you do not breath you will surely expire or faint dead away then," here she paused to ensure her charge was paying attention, "Ara and I both will follow suit... Heavens! The shock the footman shall get as he opens the door and behold all the occupants are unmoving."
She,was a small woman with graying hair and striking blue eyes.

Nalia felt herself smile for the first time in weeks, a true genuine smile before giving her answer.

"My dear, Mrs.Stockman,I believe that would be very inconsiderate of you thus be sure to hold on to your senses,while I give in to the strangles of this corset Maria put on me and do as you said."

Before her companion had time to answer the carriage stopped and the door was opened.

Stepping down she turned to receive the child in her companions arms. Praying spiritedly that the lord of this manor would not turn her on her heels she took a bracing breath into her constricted lungs.

They had travelled nigh for 10 days and although Ara never complained she had become quite and looked about with a bleakness in her small round eyes.

Glancing at her now,Nalia saw her curly blond wisps were more unruly than usual and her small mouth was puckered in her sleep. A smile broke on her own lips thinking that she was probably quarrelling with someone in her sleep,most likely chef for extra dessert. Giving in to the impulse, she placed a quick kiss on her forehead and went forth ready to part the red sea to get her to bed.

Favour seemed to be upon her though,for Mrs.Stockman had already matched to the door,back ramrod straight and was giving the butler rapid fired instructions. Biting back her smile, Nalia followed the footman, into the house. It did not escape her that no one was there to receive them nor did it miss her notice that the servants were crowding the hallway. Trying to smile sincerely and praying her hair was not as rumbled as that of the 3 year old in her arms, she politely waited to be announced before matching into the palour.

Nathaniel,Duke of Hahn,was quietly sipping his tea. His mother and aunt had taken it upon themselves to be present. He had no allusions as to their purpose,for while  it could be said they were there for support, it was true that it was not for his benefit. That it seemed was for the poor woman he was to meet no doubt.
For the past 2 hours he had been forced to bear the sharp tongue of both women and this he thought was underation. He nderstood the fear the ton had for the Dowager Duchess and her sister in law the Dowager Countess of Whill. The one time when he had, despite himself, shot a glare that usually silenced many to them, they had returned it without a beat,looking at him from beneath their noses like an insolent rat who'd dared enter their chambers. 

Now as the announcement of their guest was made,he forced himself not to get up and go look.To see for his own self if indeed she resembled his beloved Talia. His heart ached as it did whenever he thought of her. The sparkling green eyes with hints of brown and wild red hair that was incredibly uncommon which had attracted her to him the first time. Her soft smile that was always filled with such asurance and long legs that wrapped around his waist as he delved into her warmth.

He sighed as he was brought out of his reveer by the loud cough of his mother and looked up to see her giving him a chilling look before he realised he had missed something.  He was about to ask for clarification when a movement on her right caught his attention.A petite young woman stood next to his mother.Her skin was covered in clothing but he could see how well the clothes fit.She held a blanket close to her bossom but what caught his attention and struck his heart was the mass of wispy red hair that was held loose on her head.It seemed that it had come out of its pins at some point and a few strands were dancing on the side of her face. He met her eyes and took a deep breath to ease the choke he felt in his throat.  Hazel eyes stared back at him with such haughtiness that he nearly laughed. She must have sensed his humour for she lifted a pointed chin upwards and puckered her mouth in a way that made him want to plant a quick kiss on her lips. Faith,but she looked so much like Talia that his arms ached to crush her in them. He started towards her but the bundle in her arms started squirming.  Her gaze reverted to her arms and a tender expression crossed her face.Her lips parted in a smile and her whole face brightened.  Dimly he wondered what could elicit such a reaction from her while his mind reacted to that smile-Talia's smile that she wore so often as she laughed at him over something or other.