Chapter 5

Nalia woke up with a start.Her heart beating wild, the strange fear escalating when she felt next to her and came up short.
Thinking only of her child Nalia got up and removed the hair from her face.She stood up only to sit once again,feeling extremely sore.Gazing down at herself made her shriek as she never slept naked.A slow chuckle made her turn around so quickly she would have dropped if she had not been seated.Her husband was gazing at her with hooded eyes and... her husband.Ofcourse,she was married now and last night they had consummated the marriage.Getting back to her senses she took the blanket and tried to cover her modesty.
Mary!What does one say to her husband on such a morning?
Unfortunately the object of her thoughts did not take kindly to her actions. "Pray be calm my lady.I do not wish to touch you again.Last night I...was not in my right state of mind...it will not happen again.Thank you "
Nalia bit at her lip and clenched her fists ,trying very very hard not to give  a scartching answer.He had used her like a cheap woman.Then once he was done he gave her his thanks and sent her on her way.The rage she felt in her breast was so great that she found she had dug her nails into her palm.
Summoning all the dignity she could,she gathered her energy and stood up only to walk a few paces and fall,she saw her husband move to help her and found her hand raised to stop him.
"You are not to touch me remember."her voice betrayed her by coming out bitter.
"Listen..."
"If you could please my lord,I need to take a bath."She raised her eyes back at him, her jaw tight.
He must have seen something in her eyes that convinced him it was best to leave.
Once the door to his room locked behind her,Nalia walked briskly to the bath and soon after let the tears she was holding back flow.
Maria's arrival brought her thoughts back to present.
The servant looked distraught and spoke rapidly in Russian. Nalia only managed to catch the grand princess and not waking before she found herself grabbing her dressing robe from Maria and rushing headfast to the nursery.
She had given quick instructions to Maria to find her servants and send for a healer  quick.Her heart pounded in her chest.The fear that had gripped her before grasping once again. What if something bad had happened to her child without her watch.what if...no.She found herself running across the halls.She threw the doors open and when she saw Ara's small form splayed across the bed her chest heaving, her eyes opened in fright,her heart broke.
She picked her child in her arms and heard herself gasp as their skins made contact.Ara's skin burned so much Nalia could feel it scorch her."my love?child ,how are you feeling? "
Ara raised her eyes exhaustion etched in all her gestures.
Without thinking she decided to take her child quickly to her chambers at least they were closer to the kitchens.
She met her husband halfway across the hallway and she saw his eyes narrow at her and for a moment she felt self conscious.
"Madam,if you would remember, we agreed that you would try dress as per your station.I can not..."
Feeling the exhaustion of the whole morning fall on her,Nalia barely gave him a second glance as she whisked past him,no time to waste.
She placed Ara slowly on the bed and realised that the child had gone quiet. She tried waking her and even shaking her, when she did not answer dread filled her heart.She heard her voice calling out for help.Screaming for the physician.It was to her panic to realise she was standing at the hall yelling her lungs out.The first person to arrive was her husband.He must have looked at her face and realised what he missed before and asked her what was wrong.She scowled at him and went into Ms.Stockmann's comforting arms, her fear leading her to let loose her tightly held emotions.She heard herself cry for her child's life and when Ms.Stockmann patted her back and turned with her usual self help assuarance and repeated the situation to some people who Nalia heard moving quickly , she realised she had been speaking in Russian all along.
Ms.Stockmann took her hands in hers and led her to where Ara was.
Once inside the older woman checked on the child's health and came back to her distraught charge.
"Faith child,you look ready to cause grievous harm to us all.Be calm.'Tis but a fever,the physician will be able to break it quickly.I assure you.They say that Havcrove has the best physician for he combines his expertise with those of his wife who is a healer. She is believed to have a healing touch.I tell you, your beloved will be well."
Hearing the comforting words soothed her spirit and as the physician and his wife came in, Nalia all but wept in relief.

The diagnosis was made that the child must be extremely exhausted  from the travels and would be well after plenty of rest and fresh air.
They also gave some portions to be administered at intervals.

Nalia stayed by Ara's side vigilantly.They both fell in and out of sleep as the fever was fought out.Nalia plied her with cool damp clothes that Ms.Stockmann said would reduce the fever and cleaned her whenever she grew too sweaty.She ensured that the bedding was constantly changed to keep her poor child comfortable and covered her with blankets when she started shivering.

At one point the cook came up herself and forced a soup down Nalia's throat.She tried having toast the next day but couldn't keep it down. Anxiety twisted her stomach.Ara woke repeatedly, desparately calling for her mama,it broke her heart whenever her child called to her yet she couldn't do much except sooth her with words.Last night she was in one of those frightful induced hallucinations and when her eyes had found Nalia's, she had clung to her in weeping fear and Nalia had held on to her crying herself. Pain breaking her heart.

By the time the fever broke on the 5th day Nalia's back was stiff and aching. Merith came later on and Nalia was so glad to see a friendly face.They sat together in her sitting room after Nalia gave Ara a rub and had her sheets changed.
She herself had taken a bath and was feeling much better.Merith had taken one look at her and gone to the kitchens herself to make something for her.Nalia had been pleasantly surprised to discover some Russian food amongst her plate of small portions.She didn't even realise how she ate except as she reached for another piece she had come up empty.The two of them had laughed together and were now huddled on the settee chatting about the ball Merith had held with her husband just three days past.Lady Elise had made it a point to invite herself and had been glad to share about how the duke still favored her,why, he had been to see her just two days after marriage,it seemed the duchess held no warmth she said.Nalia was angry and rightfully so.The insipid woman had made it her point to constantly attack her and her child.Nalia felt better that her friend had defended her but in her heart she wondered if what was said was true.She confided in her friend about her fears but Merith gave her a knowing look and dismissed it with a "by my word,Nalia,I have yet to see a husband so besotted."Nalia had graciously smiled not because she believed but atleast if that is what was seen by society...and shared as much with Merith who burst out in loud laughter her eyes dancing and curls swaying.
By the time Merith had left they had agreed to hold a picnic in a few days time and Nalia felt quite content with her portion in life.