Chapter 9

Kat stood stiffly,her back ramrod straight and she could tell that her face was blotched for the blood in her had rushed to her face.
She wanted so bad to cry,to slap someone,to be unlady like,anything... as long as she reacted.

Since arriving to spain a week ago, she had taken the liberty to write to the grand duchess,her friend, to inform her of their arrival and in return she had written to them all inviting them to a ball to be held in their honour.
Now standing here after being announced,an image of her husband,the lord Christobal.
And his mistress.

Memories of the last time they saw each other filled her mind.
"How could you be so vindictive Katerina.How could you?To go so far as to try to kill Marcella ...that I can not forgive."
She had cried and reached out to him,begging for his trust.
"You know me Christobal.I could never do such a thing.I could never... why won't you believe me?"
He had shot her a look of hatred like none she had seen not even when he believed her to be a wanton woman and said "do you really ask?"
Kat had packed up her trunks the next day and left for french court to be with Marsha.

She had not set eyes upon her husband until this moment.Oh how some things never change. She thought with a bitter ache of her heart.
This woman had ruined her life singlehandledly and in return she got waltzes while she got to run around the world pregnant and alone.
"Do not fret now.It shall all end tonight.Atleast her ruse at being Princess Innocent."Nalia whispered from her side.
Kat smiled,glad ger friends were with her for she had felt so alone.
Why were it not for them, this plan would never have been formed.
"Your mind is most spectacular, however did you think of this?"
Nalia simply smiled, her eyes dancing around with mischief.
"Why, from the British ofcourse.Never have I know people who are so skilled in an art.They can even make you believe the sun rises in the west."
The five of them giggled and realised that the attention of the room was on them and their husbands were heading towards them.
"Dear me.For all I'm worth if Westcliff tries to so much as touch my gloved hand I will be sick!"Merith whispered from Kat's left side.
"I find that the sight of my husband heading to me seconds after dancing with that disgusting leach is making me violent."
"Oh my,"listen ladies let's dance.We need to find partners quickly and ensure we lack of none.We must stay away from those... creatures."
"Masha darling your plan is great ofcourse,except the dance partners wherever shall we find them?" Nicola chimed, her face looking beautiful in the candle light.
A round of barely surpressed groans went round.
"We best hound our host.Atleast it should keep them at bay."Nalia said feeling more and more frightened.She had not seen Hahn in three months.Lord worshipped might He be if he did not immediately see changes in her.Changes of which she was not ready to elaborate.
"Everyone will notice and know we are escaping our husbands.See how fixed their eyes are on us and let me tell you that by the time the scandal reaches Russia all sorts of spins will be added to it."Merith said looking a little pale.
"Ok then ladies,best smiles on those faces and when asked to dance we shall very graciously accept and by all means dance...on their feet!"Kat's vehemence and mischief made all of them lighten up so much so that the smiles on their faces were genuine,eye wrinkling dimple showing smiles.
"Your grace,"she heard her husband's voice but still refused to look past his chest "may I have this dance?" She smiled stiffly this time wanting nothing but to simply vanish into thin air like the dairies she so often read to Ara.
"It would be a pleasure..." she said struggling not to notice that this was the first time he had touched her in months.
Memories about the last time they were together filled her mind and bile rose to her mouth.As they reached the dancing centre and Nalia heard a gallop start she threw a smile to Kat who was next to her and smiling also and winked at each other.
Time to steo on those feet.As they started dancing Nalia made sure her eyes were fixed on her friends she knew her husband was saying something but practicing a long standing behavior she shut him out.She put her focus on the music, concentrated on jumping high enough and landing one foot straight to his booted toes.Caught off guard he threw a look at her biting his lip ,face contured in pain.On her left Nalia heard a pained grunt and struggled to keep her face straight. A second later she apologized profusely and heard small whispers and knew that her friends were also following Kat's suggestion. The second time she stepped on him,her husband threw her a suspicious glance and remembering how mean he had been to both her and her little angel she apologised again and stepped on his toes just as he was nodding.His face contured in pain and he braced himself for another stamping.
She gazed at him in her jump and intentionally refused to step on him for the next two steps and on the third she again stepped on his toes hard enough for him to grunt. As the dance came to an end, she exchanged a look with Kat and for the next jumps a round of hmmphs and ouchs was heard around them.By the time the music stopped and they took their bows the girls ran to a corner to laugh, Nalia burst out laughing so badly that she had to lean on Kat. Kat looking at their husbands who were busily leaning on their soles avoiding their toes burst out on a fresh wave of laughter. "They look thoroughly defeated... my stomach hurts...I've been trying to hold myself from when I heard Hahn's startled grunt of pain.Christobal was so shocked he actually wipped his head to look to you until he felt his foot being crushed beneath my sole too..."
Another round of laughter broke out and they had to slap their fans to their faces and crowd together to keep the noise to themselves.
Merith through a gasp said "Thank God for the waltz atleast our noise is not so far transferred."
"And where is Nicola, I truly can't see her."Masha voiced her concerned.
"Oh,we must find her she will be so very pleased. "Kat said."I hope no one elsw noticed..."
"I would say I noticed everything and the show was very entertaining my darlings.you didn't even need my help it seems"
Nalia who had been standing with her back to the crowd whirled around with a surprised gasp and a burst of joy filling her heart especially when she saw Nicola standing next to the tall man infront of her.His usual black tie making him look extra smart and rakishly handsome.His lips were curled in a wide smile flashing those white teeth and his hands on his back in a relaxed manor.His hair looked brown but she knew better and as much as it had been cut to the nape an unruly curl had escaped and was dancing on his forehead. His eyes the same as hers were wrinkled at the edges from constant laughing...mostly at her but all,she saw was the love reflecting in them.
"My sweet love, you have been very naughty."
Her heart constricted with love and she found her face pressed against his starched shirt that lingered of his shaving soft and the earth scent that seemed to be just his...
"Ah petit ,I have missed you too."
"Richy..."she was ashamed to hear her voice was clogged."I missed you so."