Chapter 15

"I heard that they have huge untapped gold mines that could make us a fortune. I would like for you to see about how to get a way to buy us some,plus Merith's ofcourse,I want the fortune coming from there to go to the bratva,I believe it will do them good..."Nalia told her brother who was holding a basket filled with sage.Her eyes moving and finding Ara. Nalia saw her struggling with a branch that was a bit stubborn. Her little mouth was scrunched into a little pout and the soft lines that marred her forehead told of her full concentration. Her hair had come lose again and was peeking from inside her woolen hat. She tagged again and her nanny had to steady her feet to avoid  tumbling them both. Finally pulling the piece apart and looking towards her mother ,a full grin filled her face. Smiling Nalia said, "well done my love. "and watched as Ara basked in the praise before returning her attention to her brother as she saw her child place the flower on the basket Damien was carrying. She found he looked at her with an odd smile that she had come to realize was his proud smile.
"What? "She asked him in her native tongue.
He laughed and enveloped her with one arm to plant a kiss on her forehead.

"I feel every day like a proud father, it really warms my heart to see how you adore our little Ara and especially to know of the woman that you are. Full of fierce passion, a true Russian. "

Laughing she moved out of his embrace, a tint of pink filling her cheeks. It was true that her brother was more her father than the tsar and he had always been extremely affectionate. He kissed her and hugged her and looked at her with open adoration. Just the other day at the winter ball Merith had told her that the two of them, if not for how much they looked alike, would have got tongues wagging. Yet this kind of praise still embarrassed her.

"You are far too young to be my father Richy, "she paused as she tucked her own unruly wisps back inside her hat. "and what is there not to love about her Richy. I have never regretted going for her or anything that has happened since. It may hurt at times but look at how she has influenced me. I feel as though I can be loving with someone else other than you and my ladies and it will still be safe because it will be mutual. Also she has made me grow ,have you not heard,"she said in a staged whisper, "the grand duchess Ana dared to confront the tsar's wife. "

Her brother laughed again and they resumed picking the herbs.

"I must admit I envy you somehow, I want...I also wish... "

Nalia smiled, her brother may be the big bad wolf to the rest of the civilized world but he would always be her awkward over protective brother to her.

"I know you wish to have a family of your own brother. "She reached out to hold his big hand in both of hers.

"You will, I already know of you and Nicola, " seeing his eyes widen she let out the chuckle she had been holding, "you know I see everything Nikolai. "

Smirking he said, "indeed I see. "

Turning serious again she said, "I was thinking that you should accompany us, the ladies and I will be in England for sometime after our deliveries, I think that it would be a chance for you to court Nicola in the proper way. I will not have tongues wagging about a lady of mine brother. "She added this last part more firmly.

Truth is just as she had noticed the obvious attraction between her brother and her friend, so had others and tongues could wag and change everything into a bad light on Nicola's side. Nalia loved her brother more than she could ever put into words but not only did she love Nicola but she also owed a duty to her as her lady.

Her brother held her gaze for a moment and said, "as you wish ponchik. "

Shaking her head with a smile, she called to her daughter who grabbed Damien's hand and came running. Seeing her brother eye the toddlers, she said,
"I was thinking of arranging something with Masha for them both, "she said with a hint of a question.

The two 'boths' reached to them and Nalia bent down to kiss both of their heads.
"Da. "Richard said in agreement as he took Damien in one arm and the basket in the other. Nalia picked her child in her arms and started heading back to the castle.

"Mama,will we pick more herbs morrow?"Ara asked her occassional child speech coming up.
"Yes moya lyubov, and then we will go back to Papa. "

Nalia watched as her daughter's eyes lit up, glinting like gems in the dull weather. A huge grin broke onto her face.
"Mama, I want papa. "

Nalia's heart constricted a little bit, she had known that her child missed that no good man but until now she had refused to acknowledge how much. Several times she had caught her wondering around the castle looking for papa. It was true that Hahn had been a selfish thing but unfortunately she herself had promised Ara that she was taking her to her papa long before they set foot at Hahngrove Manor. Her daughter who had not ever missed anything and at such a young age did not even know how to say she missed her papa, who had become a constant presence in her life brooding as he may be.

"Da rebenok.Soon. "

At that Ara turned her attention to Damien and went on to repeat that she was going to her papa. The older child was wise enough to smile and nod. As she gave her daughter another kiss she felt tears prick her eyes and her brother's kiss on her head.